Drain plug outside

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by FishMan, Feb 25, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Is it safe to put your drain plug in from the outside, My drain plug is diffcult for me to get to but I can do it and it is on a chain. My thought is to use a plug on the outside and in case something happened I would alwasy have the one inside.

Danny

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I wouldn't think it would be very safe. If you hit something, or something snagged it and pulled it out you could be in trouble before you know it.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Absolutely, most boats come like that.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have many stories about people forgetting to put their plug in and then hurry back to get their trailer and sometimes sink. All a person needs to do is start your boat and drive forward, all the water in the boat will drain out as you travel forward.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mine has to be put in from the outside, unless I removed a battery.

6. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I wonder if they sell those self baling plugs anymore? The kind you leave in and has a rubber flapper that sticks out the back. I have toyed with the idea of using one myself. I think I would put a spare, standard plug in the boat just in case you need it. Years ago when I lived around Galveston and fished salt water mostly I had the self bailing plugs, they worked fine. Only thing is they dry rotted and had to be changes every year. Just a thought.
    Good fishing
    Joseph

7. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    My tracker has to have the plug put in from the back of transume there's no way for me to put it in any other way unless i do some modifying of my boat.. it's a screw in type not the flip over type of a plug..

8. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    luckily i still have these two friends............ fishing the misipy river here during winter time................... plug installed from the outside.....the anchor pulled loose and the boat swung around upstream and the anchor line pulled the plug out......... they didn't know it was out because it was one of those big bass type boats ..... 225 hp engine ................when they realized they were sinking , it took 3 miles of running down the misipy to plane the boat off......... be careful ifn u have outside plug!!!!!

9. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Many boats have drain pugs accessable from the out side ONLY, mine included. What I do have is an automatic bilge pump. Small price to pay over a standard pump. I've left the drain plug out, who hasn't? I've been in the stumps and knocked them out, it's just part of the boating life. ALWAYS go prepared, keep two or three extra drain plugs handy. There is also an indicator that sounds an alarm if you start taking on water.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys for your posts, some things to think about, I believe I will try it.
    I do have an extra plug.

Ill check back to see any other posts.

Danny

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I may not be very worldly, but I've never seen a boat with a plug anywhere but on the outside.

Having it on the outside assures that it's being constantly pushed tighter by water pressure -- on the inside of the boat, the water is constantly trying to push it looser, which is not what you want.

Use a plug with a "T" handle on the end and there's little chance of it getting pulled loose by a snag.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Outside plugs worked just as good or bad as inside for me.Lever type can catch on something and come unlatched,or bend,break off.T handle,screw type can bend or break the handle off.,making it very hard to get the old plug out.All happened to me,over time,as my first boat with a drain and plug,was hard to insert from the inside.I did find that logs.limbs,stumps,vines and once a fish on,can cause you trouble.Salt water,lakes and large rivers are where it worked best for me.Small rivers,sloughs and swamps gave me trouble.As for running the water out with the motor.CAUTION.You can take on so much water that your boat will not run fast enough to "run the water out."I am guilty of this.Also.BE CAREFUL if you have a large amount of water in the boat.The water can shift to the back of the boat very fast as you advance the throttle.This can cause the stern of your boat to go under,along with your motor.This will leave you sunk,if you are overloaded,or at best your leval floatation saving you.(I saw this happen once).Outside plugs work the best,when the water is freezing up in your boat.Dip and soak the plug in warm heated grease for a minute or two,and drain.This helps keep the plug from freezing up.It must be adjusted very tight before greasing.Also grease your tube.If it won:t hurt the contents of,or your boat,a handfull of salt thrown around your plugs tube will help keep the water from freezing in your boat.If it gets cold enough,you are going to need a welders chipping hammer and caution. peewee-williams

13. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Joseph,

The do still sell them; I've seen them in places such as West Marine. They have some now that have a plastic ball inside the drain tube. Water pressure pushes it out, but it can't come in. I thought about using one when I got my boat built, but decided against it. I think I'll wait until the boat leaks to use them!