Dragoon Creek catfishing

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by OsageCountyCatman, Jun 17, 2006.

1. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Got my Avatar up this morning, set my 8 lines in Dragoon above Pomona and got 2 eaters, 6 lines were either cut or baitless. It's only me and one other guy catfishing the creek this weekend.

Buddy of mine wants me to trotline his pond for some eater channels so it's going to be a good night of fishing.

Jon

2. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Final tally for the weekend:

6 Channels - all eaters, biggest was #5.

3 largemouth bass - all over 15" caught on limblines and goldfish. Fillets in the freezer.

1 Very angry water snake who tried to eat a 6" goldfish and ended up swallowing a 8/0 circle hook. I was able to carefully remove hook with no damage to the snake and let him go.

All my lines were getting stripped clean, finding half of my lines in the trees. Thought I had someone stealing my catch until I watched a gar hit one of my goldfish and dive, stripping my line of bait and sending the line flying into the trees.

Had the entire creek to myself for the most part, one guy ran a trotline Saturday night at the mouth of Pomona and one couple fished all night upstream from my lines Saturday night.

Probably do it again next weekend. May try the MdC above Melvern near the Arvonia boat ramp.

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    That's crazy. I would have thought somebody was messing with my lines too.

4. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Last night's trotline West of the Carbolyn ramp. Here's the results!

9 fish total

2 Flathead - #6 and #31

5 Channels - largest #6, smallest #2

1 Largemouth Bass #3

There are schools of shad all over the creek and the white bass are in a feeding frenzy! Anyone looking for cutbait needs to get over here with a cast net and clean up!

Doesn't look like the Flathead spawn's hit Dragoon yet, but I give it about a week. Water temp at the surface was 84 last night.

Going back out tonight!

Attached Files:

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Nice haul. Thanks for the heads up on the shad.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

nice fish but where's the 31 pounder at?

7. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    The one I'm holding went #31. Doesn't look it but that's what my Berkley scale said.

I gotta weigh them as I'm lousy at guessing wight.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i see,:eek:oooh: nice fish thanks for sharing

9. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    It measured 33" which should be a little over 20lbs by the length/weight charts I've got. The radios I install in locomotives at work weigh 22 pounds and this cat was definitely heavier than one of them.