Draggy Starter?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Arkie55, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ok guys, I need some input and ideas. The starter on 1979 35hp Evinrude is dragging bad. Here is what I have done. Changed the battery cables. Fully charged the starting battery. Changed the starter solonoid (a used one from my parts motor) and changed starters. Actually, the one I replaced wouldn't do anything at all, and the one I installed (one I had in my shop from my parts motor) is dragging bad enough that it won't start the engine. Could the solonoid be going bad? I have checked volts on the battery side of the solonoid and I have 12 volts. I have also checked all connections and replaced the battery terminals on my cables. Help please.

2. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    had the same problem earlier this year-
    Sounds like you need to get a new set of brushes in you're starter.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take the starter off and take it to any shop that rebuilds auto starters and have it rebuilt.

Beofre you do that take the battery and get some one to load test it.

4. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    Also if timing is high it will start like that.

Most outboard's have a rod that adjust's timing acording to engine throttle position That may have come loose. It's usualy running under flywheel and moves with throttle position.

I have had a starter rebuilt before for alot cheaper than a new one so it's probably one or the other bad.

Also check to make sure engine has good connection to ground side of battery. Bad or corroded ground on motor will starve battery power from starter. put jumper cable on battery ground and other end to starter body and see if it changes starter speed.

5. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    My inboard cost me $45 to rebuild, one of my employees had the same problem it cost him $40 on his outboard.
    I first thought my battery was bad but it was the starter.

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Hey guys,
    just wanted to let you know that my starter problems are solved. I ended up taking both starters apart. The one that was on my outboard had a real good set of brushes. One thing that I found interesting was three of the four brushes didn't have springs under them. The starter I put on my outboard had a very worn set of brushes but a complete set of springs. So, I changed the brushes and put the springs where they belong. Tested the starter and it worked as it should have. Changed starters again and hit the switch. Still dragging. I then changed my battery leads from my starting battery to my trolling motor battery and hit the switch again. Problem solved. It looks like I had two things going on. 1. weak brushes. 2. Starting battery going bad. I really appreciate the suggestions. They were a great help in solving my starting woes.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I am glad to hear you got your Starter fixed! When my boat is broke it just worries me until I get it fixed.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks Terry for the follow up. When a problem is solved then the solution is as important as the problem because these answers and your solution may help some one else with a similar problem.