Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty good day of fishing for me and dad, dragged baits for 6-7hrs in 5-30ft of water. Homemade dragging weights worked pretty good, covered alot of water and didn't lose a weight. Couldn't get on a big fish, 25lb was the biggest of the day. Turned back 10 in that 15-25lb range and brought home 14 10lb and under. Kept 4 outta those and gave the rest away. All the fish was caught on cut white bass.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like a fun day! How are them blues compared to little flatheads far as eating? I havent ate any of em. I know them flatheads are tasty! I havent kept one in years, but ate a pile of them when I was younger.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a fun day! How are them blues compared to little flatheads far as eating? I havent ate any of em. I know them flatheads are tasty! I havent kept one in years, but ate a pile of them when I was younger.
They make good table fair, I prefer the channels over them all but they all are good eating. My family sure likes them, I eat a mess every once in awhile. If it wasn't for my gout I'd eat fish all the time. Flairs up real bad if I eat it quite often.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,011 Posts
Congrats brandon,

Those look like the dragging wieghts Justin came up with?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats brandon,

Those look like the dragging wieghts Justin came up with?
Dont know how he makes his but these are made from some old 3/8 air hose I had laying around, 3/4 heat shrink, lashing wire, snap swivels, 2oz of bb's, and two 3/8oz casting sinkers to plug the ends and keep the bb's from coming out.

I'll tie the lashing wire to one of the 3/8 sinkers and pull it into the end of the 3/8 hose then pour in 2oz of the bb's, then put the other 3/8 sinker on the lashing wire and block the top of the 3/8 hose. Put the snap swivel on the lashing wire and all you do then is put the heat shrink on it.

These weigh 5.5oz and so far work very good in shallow or deep water. Just used what I had laying around the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts