DRAG SETING

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 5, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    OK IF IM TIGHTLINING, SHOULD I SET THE DRAG SO THE FISH WILL HOOK ITSELF BUT STILL TAKE A LITTLE LINE, ANY WAY OF TESTING THIS, WHAT I DID WAS I HAD MY FREIND PULL TILL MY ROD DOBELED OVER THEN SOME LINE SILIPED OUT, ANY OTHER WAY, SOME SAY TO LOOSEN IT UP BUT I SET THE HOOK WITH KAELS EVEN IF HES ALREADY HOOKED

2. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    In my opinion that's kind of a "feel" thing. It depends on your gear. What kind of line you are using, how stout is your rod and reel etc.. In my opinion based on how you described it, it's too tight but thats just me.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My drag is set on the looser side. If I put my hook on the bottom guide, you can not bend the tip of the pole by turning the handle on the reel. I want my drag just tight enough to set a hook good without line coming off the reel.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    IM USING YOUR BASIC FLAT SETUP 6500 BAITCASTERS BIG CATRODS, JUST THE STANDERD BIG CAT RIGS, ONE TIME I LOKED THE DRAG DOWN AND THE FISH WAS PULLING ME IN THE WHITEWATER, ILL NEVER LOCK EM DOWN AGAIN AFTER THAT ALMOST DIED, I COULDENT LET GO TO AJUST IT THIS FISH HAD TO BE A 70 POUND FLATHEAD, IT SNAPPED 50 POUND TESST IN A FEW SECONDS, BUT THE CURRENT DIDNOT HELP, SO I WAS WANDERING HOW HARD YOU SHOULD U HAVE TO PULL ON YOUR LINE SHOULD IT COME OUT WITHOUT ALOT OF MUSEL OR DO YOU WANT TO REALY PULL ON IT, NOT REALY A BIG DEAL I JUST DONT WANT MY ROD TO SNAP OR THE FISH TO NOT BE HOOKED HARD, I NEED THAT PERFECT DRAG SETING WHILE BANK FISHING

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Drag was being pulled when the first picture was taken. That is as far as my pole bends before drag is taken. No drag was being taken in the second picture. That is with Berkley glowsticks , #40 Berkley Big Game mono line and 6500 reels.

Attached Files:

6. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I always start in first gear...:roll_eyes:

7. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just have a feel for mine. I use 40lb Big Game line. I would guess it takes about 5-7 lbs of pressure to pull it straight off the reel, then figure in the friction and flex of the rod, its about 15-20 lbs of pressure at hook set. It's hard to describe, but with the way I set it the drag and it slips a few inches at hookset, I know its a good 40 + fish. I fish in lakes with not much structure and I doubt the 40 lb Big Game would break no matter the fish size or drag setting, maybe the rod though. I've got snagged and pulled my 21 ft pontoon off the shore trying to break the line with no luck.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thaks david ill set mine a little tighter, becouse i use 50 pound braid so if i get ten pounds to pull the drag i gues thats good,