drag quit working

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gordon, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gordon

gordon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I bought two of the abu garcia 6600 reels a month ago and the drag quit working. I could tighten down the drag ALL the way (I didn't try this when I first put them on) and could pull out line very easy. I always made sure when the reels were stored that I backed off of the drag. I took them back and traded them for two new ones (same model / different store)). Has anyone ever had this problem? Could it be a bad batch? Thanks, Gordon

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    it's a good possibility that the reels were sitting in the store for a long time with the drag tightened all the way. this will damage the drag washers and cause the drag to not work at all. Did you take the reels apart? Just maybe the reels didn't have drag washers to start with. Bad batch? Good luck with the new one you purchased. Abu- Garcia makes a quality reel. It should last you many years with the proper maintainance. Also did the faulty reels have mono line or superline like spidewire, power pro, etc. spooled on. If you put superline on the reels, make sure there is mono backing on the spool first. If you don't, that will cause the drag to slip also.

Hope this helps you!!:big_smile:
    Mark

3. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    Went fishing recently, 8 degrees F on the Snake River, and the friends baitcaster suddenly quit working. He had no drag and could barely get his super-line wound back on the reel. He thought his Millionaire reel, less than a year old, had died. Being a good friend, I offered him 5 dollars for it. His stare was about as chilly as the air.

After getting home, he called the factory and the wise factory man said to see if the spool or the line was turning. Hmmm! The spool of super-line, without any monofilament backing, was turning on the spool. The reel was not the problem.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Could also be that the factory installer accidentally got grease in the drag washers. If they're were careless, didn't care, hungover, or whatever, they can get pretty sloppy with the grease. I've pulled new reels apart before that had so much grease in them it didn't take long for it to work into the drag assembly.

5. gordon

gordon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    No, I didn't take the reels apart. I tend to have parts left over at the end of the job every time I do things like that. If these go bad on me I am going to try a different brand. Thank you all for the responce, you have a good site here and I enjoy it often. Gordon

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Abu's are good reals with good drags. You are not supposed to get any grease or oil in the drag, though. SO maybe xringer's idea is right. The spool of super braid just spinning on the spool will do it too.