Drag questions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tomcat85, Oct 18, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    does anyone turn their drag the whole way down on a spinning reel and use it as a bait clicker? would this work

2. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    you might be able to but i would not do it because though it may work when you got a run you would have to tighten your drag back up which might make you miss your fish.you might tighten to much n your line break or not enough and when you go to set your hook it pull slack out and miss it. so i would say it's a bad idea

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    never done that all of mine have an anti reverse switch on them i just turn it off or open the bail and hold the line between my thumb and index finger

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I don't use spinning reels anymore but did for a number of years. I've done that and it does work. I never turned it all the way down but low enough that a fish could pull it quite easily, if it's a good drag you should be able to adjust it to the same tension as a bait clicker. Just have to play with it a bit first and see how many turns to retighten so that you can do it smoothly in a run situation. Most spinning reel drags today are fairly easy to adjust so with a bit of practice to see how far you need to go it shouldn't be hard to get it right. Some even have a lever that will instantly change your setting from light to heavy in one quick flip . I have an pretty old Shimano like that and it worked great .