drag problem

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jun 28, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got a problem on my c3, my drag, has to be almost locked down or i can pull line out, thers not much of a moment i can ajust on the star, its like i got to set the star tiht lock it then slightly decrees it to get some drag, were it shuold move alot, do you know what i mean, its like , its ether lock it or, the drag is loose, it has no backing could that be it, its lined with powerpro

2. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Pull on the line with a gloved hand & watch the spool if it's feeding line while not rotating it needs backing.

3. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    a couple of possible problems, One being the afore mentioned issue with braid slipping on the spool. Super lines don't streatch, there for they don't "grip" the spool. So if you don't have SOME mono backing, your going to get slippage eventually one way or the other.

The other thing is you don't test or set your drag off the reel. You do it at the end of the rod your going to be fishing on. A pound of difference in drag is difficult to notice with the hand off the reel but is exponentially harder to pull off the end of the rod. The rod's action plays a big part in fighting the fish, so observe the amount of weight and flex of the rod while testing your drag, don't just pull it off the reel.

Thread your rod, tie a loop in your line and hook that loop over something stationary... then lift the rod to see where the drag starts to give.

If none of this helps it may be an issue with the reel.

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well said Kelly. people need to know that.. reps to ya :wink:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like your drag washers have flattened out...This happens when you leave the reel setting for awhile without backing the drag off..I back mine off after every trip.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i always forget to do that, it will still work, but theirs a small threshold on the star o ajust my drag, i got to set it tight, then barley back off to get drag to slip, i mean a little turn,if i set it half way, theres no differants in the drag, i got to lock it down, then slightly back of to get alot of drag,and its my newest reel, its not a big problem yet,i will see if its slipping around the spool,

7. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    I would agree, Jack. The symptoms really sound like flattened drag washers to me. If the line were slipping on the spool, the problem shouldn't stop when the drag is tightened down all the way....it should actually get WORSE.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    that sucks, dont get me wrong i can bring in some fish, i just got to set the drag perfect, im going to get them repared this winter,im still new to baitcasters, the boc is the only plce i learn, all this stuff, i need to back off that drag, i hope they last me till novemer

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree.You gotta back them drags off when you,re not using them Jake!:crazy:

10. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    All of my reels have black electric tape on the spools. Then I spool on the braid and have not had one slip yet. I use my fish scale to set the drags I let out about 20' of line then set the drag. Some of the time set it pulling straight off the reel. And sometimes I lift the rod and set it that way to about 12# of drag. Just my way of setting them up.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    :roll_eyes: some people, IF the braid is not slipping on the spool witch it probally isnt. YOU HAVE OIL ON YOUR DRAG WASHERS! warn drag washers will still tighten up but will shutter and shake like bad brakes on a car. you need to take the handle side of your reel apart and wipe off your drag washers and reassemble. sorry for the attitude hbs d@m pancres.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well, mine aint that bad yet but they all three need a tune up this winter, i cant take them apart, i shake bad,so i got to take it down to be looked at

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you need a "PENN":wink: