Drag on Zebco 888

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by graybeard, Apr 25, 2006.

1. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My drag seems to be froze up or stuck on my 888. Any advice on getting it free? It will work when way loose, but as you tighten it up, it won't give at all.

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Hello Wayne, I'm trying to remember the one I had for a short time. Seems like it was in the all metal case with the dragset on a wheel or roller in the middle of the reel. Anyway a good shot of WD-40 or similar light oil should help. I bought an 808 when they first made them. The case was solid dark green plastic, mines almost white now fading and old but still fishes fine. I thought that reel was so good the 888 had to be better. I broke the drive gear the second time I used it. I fixed it and put it in the yard sale. Clean her good, lube & grease the gears, try again. Hope yours works better than mine did.
    Don

3. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Heres an address that shows all the parts to your 888 hope this helps!
    http://www.fishingreelrepair.com/frames.asp

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have 2 888s.One is 20+ years and one is 2005.Both have star drag,and will adjust from loose to lockup.It should keep getting tighter and tighter till it locks up,as you tighten the drag.It should keep getting looser and looser as you loosen the drag.If not,lube the little bronze threaded shaft and gear that your star drag turns to operate your drag.Also your shaft,sleeves and bushings where your handle and star drag are.Unscrew the front housing from the rear.Remove the whole operating mechanism in one piece.Turn the star drag and watch what moves.lube it.Luck,peewee-williams

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My 888s have always had a star drag.My 808s have always had a drag wheel.Both operate a bronze gear and shaft that look identical,which operates identical looking drags.peewee-williams

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Well put PeeWee. I couldn't have said it better myself.

7. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replies. I've had the reel apart, and everything that is visible seems to be working. The star turns, the gears both work, the threaded rod goes in and out, and the piece the rod and spring moves somewhat, although probably not as much as I think it should. By looking at the parts breakdown, I'm guessing the washers under the spool aren't moving enough. I can pull line against the drag when it's completely loosened, but as soon as I tighten it down a little, it won't give a bit. I'm gonna try to get a little oil inside, see if that breaks it loose.