Dozer to build fish pond?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Crawdad, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Anyone know where i can find an operator? I need to build a catfish pond 8 miles N of Clinton, off Route 13.
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lorenz Richter here in Warrensburg. Richter Excavating. Don't have a phone # handy.

3. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    good ideas guys. i live 3 hours away, so i'm not very familiar with that area.
    Hope to build a house & retire there next year.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Crawdad, here are some ideas for you, I dont live local but if your looking to make one in a swail or small valley, you could rent a small dozer for about 250 bucks for the weekend and do most of it yourself, they are fun toys to play with, just make sure you pack ass much down as possible after every layer of clay to compress it.

Or if your looking to dig a hole type of pond, you can rent a backhoe the same way, once you practice a little bit, youll be fine, just make sure if you go this route that you did down with the hoe part a hole to test the soil to make sure thereis no gravel.

If you hire someone to do a pond, your looking at 10 grand at a minimum and I know the quote on my 3/5 acre pond was almost 30,000, which brings me to my last option.

My wife works for the local Vocational High School and assuming your not in a hurry, you might get a deep discount to have the kids come out from theh Heavy Machinery Class and do it as a project. This is what Im doing and it will take all school year year to finish it but the price was right!!! If you live close to one that has this program, give the instructor a call, he may be able to help you out.

Salmonid

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I think MDC website has a topic on building ponds,including help with design and stocking

6. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

I sent ya a PM.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Goverment helped me build one last spring. Got it under the soil errosion plan. They paid about 75%. Good deal for me. They will come out and look at your site and tell you if they can allote money for it. Department of Natural Resources. Put in a hydrant plus piping for livestock watering. Paid 75% of that also. Seed and seeding also. Check it out!!:) :)

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bluejay, that is awesome, glad you got the Govt to help pay for your pond. Unfortunately Ohio doesnt offer any sort of help at the present time or else I would have been all over it, thats for sure. Ohio did a lot of that type of work in the 50'-70's but now feels that Ohio has way more recreation ponds per square mile then most states so the emphasis is on habitat restoration, greenways and Riparian protection.

Salmonid

9. elvenbane1

elvenbane1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wish I had land to build a pond.....Might check the phone book or your county street department operaters. I'll bet they know somebody they will hook you up for a fair price.

10. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    I'll be meeting with a fella this Saturday, & may get another quote, depending on what i can find out about him.
    Bluejay, I had a pond build 6 years ago where i live now, & soil/Water paid for 75%, but they don't do that in Henry county (Clinton). I think that's really a subsidy for cow farmers (i used ot be) and there aren't many around the lake.
    Wish I didn't live 3 hrs away from there. It's going to be hard to keep an eye on things.
    Anyway, thanks again for the help guys. In a couple of years i'll invice you all out for a stock tank full of cold beer!

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you have the money or the credit..You may want to think about buying one..
    I have a buddy that does this when he has use for heavy equipment.
    When he is done with the job, he sells it, often at a profit.

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Crawdad i live up here in warrensburg There are several guys in the book up here that i know, one is gayle matthews 1-660-747-2390,one is ross downning 1-660-747-3502 they should give you a good deal

13. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Well, guys, this Saturday i met with & hired Jon Furry, from Chilhowee to do the pond. From my experience with the previous pond 5 years agop, he sounded like he;ll do a good job. He'd done work for the next door neighbor a couple of times & they recommended him. We'll see.
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

14. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Are you moving down here soon or just weekends .Let me know and we can head down to truman sometime