doyle thornless blackberrys vs. chester thornless

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by TCAT, Jan 10, 2008.

1. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    two years ago i planted two 150 ft rows of thornless blackberrys . two varietys mainly. the chester really took off like a rocket but the more expensive doyle grew slow and very spindly. they both were planted in same soil and had ample fertilizer. the doyle variety is suposed to be a huge bearer. just wondering if anybody has had any luck with them. my three year old daughter will walk the rows eating all the way down the chester row but when she hits the doyle row she spits them out making a pucker and says that a sour one dad

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Nowadays someone says blackberry and they think your talking about there phone. Times a changing...:confused2:

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I miss those days. I grew up in the woods picking blackberrys, black raspberries, red raspberries, mulberries and black cherries. I've no experience with the different types you buy to plant. I've actually started a few wild reds for my yard from wild seed. Takes awhile but this summer I had my first cup. They were worth the wait. Nothing like a bowl of red raspberries in milk with a little sugar. I dont like the packaged stuff at the produce section. they're bland, like they grow them for the size but no flavor.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sorry, I only grow Arapaho & Navaho. Both are excellent and will do good for about 6 years. After moving them, they seem like they will have another good few years.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Arapaho is the only variety I'm familier with,also.