Downtown Columbus boat ramps?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Nov 27, 2009.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    passed over the scioto today on I-70 on the way to wife's reletives just east of the city. man, the scioto looks really good right there in downtown and was wondering if there are any ramps or spots to launch a boat in that pool. on the way back, on the opposite side of the highway i noticed a lowhead dam upstream.

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep there are 2 ramps down there I believe. One is on the Olentangy just north or where it enters the Scioto maybe 100 yards. The other is at the whittier penisula just north or the low head dam at greenlawn ave. If you look at it on google earth you should be able to see the pretty good.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I have used both of these ramps in the past when I went to OSU. The one 100 yards upstream on the Olentangy is kinda rough (both the concrete and the people hanging around). Be careful down there. Its crazy how that place doesn't get much fishing pressure but stick around there at night and you will find out. Its loaded with homeless people and other rough looking people. Be nice to them and they should give you the same back. Be mean to them and your truck and trailer will likely be setting on blocks when you get back.:smile2::smile2::smile2: Parking maybe an issue on the ramp on the Olentangy. We just parked in that old lot up at the top but we had a state truck. It may be better to ask around some of the local businesses and walk a little bit.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks guys, found them on sattellite images. btw, hows the "catfishing" in those pools? :wink:

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never fished them....... I drive by there everyday in the summer and only see a couple boats there all summer long. So I would guess not much fishing pressure.

6. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    The catfishing in those pools (both the Scioto and the lower Olentangy is great as far a numbers go. Very light pressure and alot of cover especially up the Tangy. Run up the Tangy from the confluence and you will go around a sharp bend with bridge pillars in the water. Right there we shocked up tons of channels and smaller flatheads. There should be a large log jam built up around them. There are a few other spots on upstream but they can be hard to get to because of shallow water. I took an 18ft flatbottom all the way up to 5th Ave dam butt it was a pain. A lot of pushing and pulling. Good luck.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    shad-man, you must work for the ODNR? you always have a great wealth of knowledge on central ohio fisheries...........we all appreciate it!! flatheads in the olentangy?? that's pretty sweet, im sure there's almost 0 pressure on them.

8. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I worked for the Division of Wildlife for four years through college at OSU. I also worked for a few other private and state agencies over the years that allowed me to check out rivers and lakes that I would have never got on otherwise. Now I'm out in Indiana finishing up my masters degree in Fisheries Management. I really wish I could get back more often to Ohio to fish some of those old spots.