DOWNSIZING CIRCAL HOOKS???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slikk03, Dec 22, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i been using shad on an 8 ot gama circal, but they wont bend the rod down, they must be less than 3 pounds,if i use a 2 ot will my hook set in them???, never had this happen on bluegill, but its winter lol, so im using shad also

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If they are pecking or biting light it would be a good tactic to downsize your bait and hooks. Maybe even go with a Kahle hook or a J hook if they won't commit to the bait enough to set the circle hook.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Might not be the hook size Jake,a lot of times the coldwater fish just like to mouth your bait and not move with it.Try switching to some regular J hooks and set when you think they got it.At least you,re getting some action,you must be in the right spot.:wink:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well im in a hot discharge,and they hit it one time ,so i swiched to a j, but still no hookset, i feel the pull and jerk but nothing lol, i might try using a smaller shad

5. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    You might be having gar or turtles nibbling on yer bait...those are hard to stick with any hook.

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Downsize bait and switch to "J" hooks...and feed them some line. Wait until they're moving off with the bait and stick it to them. You'll connect.

Tight lines.

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Man thats weird for a hot water discharge, they should be active. Now that I think about it that happened to me the first time I fished a discharge. We just stuck with it, we lost about 6-7 hits initially but then eventually we started catching them. We were using cut shad and cut eel. Maybe in your case you should downsize but unless Im tryna catch some to take home and eat its so hard for me to drop lower than a 4/0. I remember thinking 2/0 was big enough to catch any fish that swam where I lived but Its so hard for me now to drop to smaller hooks since using 8/0 lol, must be a pesonal thing, good luck slikk let us know how things go

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama

sounds like a good suggestion coming from the man himself

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Another thing you might try is to add a stinger hook to the back of your bait, ive had cats just come up and hammer the back of the baits and never get into the hook "really agrivating:eek:oooh:" I added a stinger to the back "sometimes smaller one" and started catching these fish,,,
    Wild Wolf sells some really nice ones..:cool2:
    Worth a look bro,,:wink:
    Puddle