Down wind side of a Lake!

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mrquickset, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    On windy days like today I always have better luck on the windy side of the lake. This is where the waves are splashing against the shore. Especially for catfish. I catch lots of crappies like this too!

I've often wondered why...the wind is not blowing the baitfish...there is no wind under water. Maybe some current is caused by this, but I think it's more the algea that is in the water that gets pushed to the bank which causes the bait fish to follow. One of my golden rules when catfishing is to find the baitfish.

Has anyone else had similar luck?

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    yeah I love a wind blown bank! Your theory is exactly right

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When the wind blows it makes ripples on the water which makes small waves

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    That's also our golden rule. If the wind has been consistant for 2 days or more out of the same direction. The wind blows the plankton and the bait fish follow feeding on it. The predator fish follow the bait fish. Doesn't apply as much to smaller rivers but you can usually bank on it in a lake situation.

5. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I also find the wind blowed bank ,works for me.

6. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i dont fish lakes much, just the mississippi and i hate wind with a passion. especially wind going against the current. When the wind is blowin the anchored boat all over the place, try a drift sock or two out the stern of the boat . They catch enough current to eliminate or reduce the boat sway. those things will save a whole day on the windy river!

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I would have to agree 100% with this post. Catfish also know that the wind blown bank will also be their best bet for dead fish, I like to fish shallow in this situation.