Down time Processing

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Welder, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pulled out 15lbs of deer cubes and ground to burger added 10 lbs of ground deer to 10lbs of pork trimmings mixed added reg brautworst seasoning re ground then stuffed in skens. 20lbs of Brauts made to boot MMMMMMMMMMM-MMMMMMMMMM they gona be good. Fri is goan be jerky day I am maken up 10lbs of deer burger into jerky. I amost enjoy making the goodies after season as much as hunting deer. I am thinken about maken some summer sausage as soon as I get ahold of some fresh green pig hickory this spring for smoking it. Lol gona need it anyhow for smoking spoonbill.

2. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just finished making deer hamburger for the first time. I was particularly anal about removing all white deer fat, veins and the mucus lining between the muscles. It took me about 2 hours for around 5 pounds of burger to remove every single piece of fat. Do deer processors do this much work before they grind or do they just worry about the big pieces of fat. I can't imagine processing being the least bit profitable if they did. I made 3 burgers from my 20% bacon to %80 deer yesterday and ate them all by myselfl. It was very tasty and now I know why people hunt these tasty animals. Now I am debating on how to do the jerky. I have heard people say it was a young enough deer to do straight strips and not be too chewy. Then others told me to buy some High mountain and a jerky maker to use with ground deer. What are peoples preferences on making jerky?

3. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    I am chewing on a piece of jerky as I type. It's all good as far as i'm concerned. I have made it both ways, slicing whole muscle meat is qiucker than grinding and gunning strips out. but if you already are grinding not that big a deal. also look up jerky recipies online, save yourself some money and make your own marinade - seasoning. I enjoy working up the meat also... just extends the fun of the hunt. I have already done 50 lbs. summer sausage, 25 lbs. breakfast sausage, burger and jerky. Deer bratz are the best !
    larry

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    High mountain is one of the best jerky mixs I have tryed yet with the jerky gun. As far as removing all the silver skin you dont have to. To grind I take parts like the shank and neck and fillet most of it off the big chunks of silver skin the rest like shanks I just cube into 1 1/2 inch chunks and use all my steak trimmens ect. I grind coarse then use the med plate and grind again. Being deer buger ant got much fat you can mix 1/4 beef or pork trimmings in it then grind. I found the best pork trimmings are no.1 ground they use @ stores for maken brauts and sasuge. I can get it in 10lb tubes here. 1/4 bacon is great to but its a lil high when ya grind 40 to 50lbs of deer burger a year. To make deer burgers hold together better mix 1 egg white to 2lbs deer burger for maken patties. Man the brauts turned out somthen awsome for me this year the 1-1 deer and pork mix worked wonders and the braut seasoning a lil strong but good with the venison. I am stufffed full and want more lol. And just think ya eating heathy lol.

5. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Here's a quick jerky recipe 4lbs. ground deer burger 1 pkg. LEM original jerky mix (makes 4lbs.) blend seasoning & cure let set 24 hrs. but don't add water as suggested on pkg. then after set time just before dehydrating add 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce kneed in . I use a local brand that is sweet flavored called DB yummers , I make mine in sticks and don't over dry it .ITS GOOOOOD!!

6. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Another vote for High Mountian jerky mix! I slice whole muscle and as much as I can. Let it sit overnight and then put it in the smoker. GOOD STUFF!!!

larry, where do you get your breakfast sausage mix for your deer? Sounds pretty good! The brats do to. My last batch of brats failed but I still ate them.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been useing High Mountain for a few years now, and it is a good product, and they have a good variety. It became a bit salty for my taste, so I started substituting their seasoning (which is mostly salt) with my own seasonings. I still use their cure and add my favorite BBQ dry rub, some cayenne pepper or cajun spice, and coarse ground black pepper. If you get bored with their flavors, try this.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    last year i bought a case of that red creek jerky marinade. i do the straight cuts for jerky and it comes out great. we will add jalapeno sauce or crushed red pepper right before it hits the dehydrator. also this year i tried some kikkoman's teryaki marinade and it was good, but not as flavorful as the red creek. man after processing, cooking deer is almost as fun as hunting it. i am already having withdrawals, waiting for next year!

9. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Heres how we do ground deer/jerky. Not sayin its the only way just our way. We remove all the fat etc we can from the trim but we dont go nuts over it. We use LEM grinders and only grind once on the smallest plate that came with it(tubes of meat are BB thickness). Heres our basic jerky formula>>2 lbs ground meat, 1 pkg of American Harvester jerky mix(recommended for 1 lb of meat), 1/4 cup garlic powder, 1 tbls of table salt, 1/3 cup warm water. Mix all well and refridgerate for at least 8 or so hours. We use the el cheapo jerky guns most of the time. If its(the mixed meat) too stiff we'll add a little warm water before pressing it out. Too much water and its gets rather slimy and doesnt look very good after dehydrating and gets rather burnt tasting and crunchy. This recipe makes a blander jerky but some like it that way. I like to add more (1/3 more of each at least)garlic powder to mine and a little extra salt. Dry or wet hot sauces do good in this recipe too. Country Bobs steak sauce will give it a real zing, 1 cup of it added to the mix is about right. I catch the jerky mix on sale about this time of year at wallys etc. Bought all they had two years or so ago and still got 20+ box's. Thats a good way to save a few bucks if you do alot of jerky. FIL uses commercial mix's and sometimes his own designs but the one of ours is about the easiest and simpliest we've found.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree guys,Love my jerky,brats and sausage. You guys need to visit the diner forum and the BOC members cookbook more often,There a ton of recipes by just us there,and it gets read by some that dont visit the hunting threads. I posted several jerky and venison sausage recipes just this fall,Theres a good one for hot links too.

11. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok,
    I bought the High Mountain trial pack and tried 2 different methods with a dehydrator for Jerky. The best thing so far was the ground deer mixed and then dehydrated. Plain meat strips turned out too salty. Then I tried this Backwoods summer sausage mix. Yuck don't try it. Tasted nothing like summer sausage. Just tasted like salty meat to me. I think I will stick with hamburgers since that was pretty good. Thanks for the tips.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no they dont. in the burger it all chops up and is virtually un noticable. i remove large chunks of fat but never worry about little piceces or the silver skin. i can grind 50 lbs in a couple hrs this way.

13. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    No need to remove all the fat, just the big stuff. The silver skin will either grind up or get caught in the plates. No need to be real anal about removing all the fat. One thing for sure, I remember one time we had hamburger from a old buck my dad shot. Had been lots of snow and the deer were eating pine needles, or thats the excuse we were given. We'd eat them hamburgers and the tallow would stick to the roof of our mouths for a long time, tasted awful. A little is ok tho.

14. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I made 30 pounds of bear and 30 pounds of venison Summer Sausage this fall with Hi Mountain seasoning and it turned out great. Just finished 10 pounds of venison and 10 pounds of beef jerky in the dehydrator. I tried Eastmans seasoning on that and it was pretty good too. I added a little Teriyaki and Cayenne pepper to kick it up a bit. Came out great. I have a smoker but I usually make my jerkey out of ground meat in the dehydrator.....
    That talk about those Bratwurst got my mouth to watering tho... I usually make a batch of Brats and a Batch of Potato Sausage too. But not this year. So far.

15. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    This year I tried a brand called Leggs old plantation sumer sausage seaoning.I mixed it half and half with a boston butt.I to grind my deer and pork coarse , then mix the seasonings and grind it again with the smaller opening.I wished I would have trimmed more of the pork fat away ,as it was a little too much. I never worry about deer silver only the large pieces of soft , white fat.I agree with Richard on the diner , I used his recipe for breakfast sausage and it was the best I have ever tried and easy as well.I realy liked the leggs summer sausage seasoning #114 , it tastes better than any store bought.Leggs also sells all kinds of seasoning and here is a link.
    http://www.aclegg.com/aclegg.htm

16. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just curious, you guys that grind your own deer etc do you use electric or hand grinders? We've got a midsize LEM that has done well into 3 digits of deer, bunch of pork, lots of beaver and several beef's. Never have had to do anything to it besides cleaning it after we're done. Its the old style without a carrying handle(wish it had one).

17. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The old classic no 32 cast iron hand grinder. Easy to clean and mount on my game dressing table. I guess when my grinder motors aka kidds get grown and gone. I will break down and modify it to be runn with a 3/4 hp drill.

18. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, we actually finished up our deer meat for the year last weekend. We made 43 3# slicks of salami to split between 5 of us. We do all of our deer processing ourselves. we usually grind our burger, and cut our steaks and roasts as we kill deer throughout the season. I practically live on deer meat. I can't tell you the last time I bought ground beef. I use deer burger for everything, from hamburger patties to spagetti and chilli. Thank godness my wife loves it. Our deer salami is alot of work, but well worth it and we save alot of money doing it ourselves. We made two batches of Jalapeno and cheese, 1 batch of peppercorn, and one batch with mustard seed and brown sugar. We start on a friday after everyone gets off work, grinding cube deer meat and pork. once we get everything ground we add the goods for each batch and stuff them with our grinder. This usually takes 4-6 hours to do with a five man crew running. Then we get up bright and early on saturday and hang the tubes in our smokers. My dad and one of his buddies made a couple of smokers out of a couple of old refridgerators. We let them smoke/cook for 5-7 hours, until the internal temp is 165 degrees. Then we let them all cool, wipe them down and taste test time. We have alot of fun doing this. Usually while the meat is smoking we play cards, eat crappie fillets and drink plently of beer. I enjoy this almost as much as I do hunt!