Down south vacation??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish chaser, Jul 23, 2006.

1. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I live in PA. Where I work at we get the month of january off. I was wondering if there was any good places down south during that month for catfishing??

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

How far down south are what states are you considering?

3. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    doesn't matter to me i'll go anywhere. I'd like to go somewhere good to catch blues at since we don't have them in our area

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Given the choices I would say Norman, Santee, are Santee Cooper. Tim Hagan is a sponser and a guide on the potomac. I know a good guide on Santee Cooper Pm me if you would like his info. As for Norman I have not fished there but there are some big blues coming out of it. These are just some options for you to consider.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    In January I would have to say Lake Marion or Lake Moultrie would be the top two lakes.

6. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    If you have a guide information handy I'd love to have it. He might be able to help me on some questions, thanks

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The James River from the Hopewell area to the fall line in Richmond is always good in the winter.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If you want the chance at a really big fish, then try the James River, like Flathead Willie said. If you want numbers, with some nice fish (probably 20+ lbs. avg), then Santee Cooper is the way to go. Baitfish are schooling in January, as water temps drop, and the blues feed real good. Big ones are caught, too, up to 50+ lbs. but lots of 12-25 #'s.

9. catfish chaser

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    thanks guys i'll have to check out the area

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The Cumberland river around Cumberland City that is a good place. Check with the ones on the Tn board that fishes it there.
    Pete

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    The Yazoo river is a great river for blues in jan very light preasure too

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Forgot the yazoo river is in miss

13. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    If your looking for blue cats and want a chance a really nice one I would have to say the Lower Mississippi River would be my choice. There is a guide in Memphis that is well known. Petterson is his name. If you are interested in a Mississippi trip, then just drop in the Mississippi State section, open the Mississippi River area and post a question. There are some very very good fisherman that post often in that section.