Down East Rod holders?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by Whiskerlips, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Whiskerlips

Whiskerlips New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Any one ever used the Down East rod holders? I have a few sitting in boxes but haven't installed them since I've been working on my boat for the past year. Good? Bad? Seems like a good product but I'd like to see if anyone has used them.
    Thanks!

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I use them all the time. I have them on my boats, and I use them for bank fishing. I have two that I made bases for, to use from the pier at Pike Island dam. I also have several with bases that, I made to use in the ground. I really like them.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40834

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya thyr great i got 4 mounted on a piece of 2x3 white oak across th back of my lyman. will have pictures on this spring :big_smile: :cool2:

4. Whiskerlips

Whiskerlips New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks guys, I'm glad to hear good things since I bought four of them without knowing if they were good or not. Can't wait to put them on. I like the bank fishing outfit. Pretty cool. I might have to fashion something similar. Thanks again.

5. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I use a half dozen of these on my pontoon boat. I like being able to clip them on whereever I want em and the way you can pull the rod straight up and out of the holder.

6. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ive got 14 around my pontoon they are the best as far as im concerned

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have 12 on my boat and also consider them the very best rodholders available.Anything goes wrong or the company upgrades they will do yours free or fix whatever ails yours.Best customer service I have ever had from a company particularly when the problem was my fault.:big_smile:

8. Whiskerlips

Whiskerlips New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nice, I had no idea they guaranteed thier product as well. Can't wait to add them to the boat. Sound like those who have used them, like them. If only the weather would cooperate. I appreciate everyone's input.

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have 4 on my skiff gunwale. I think they are one of the best for cat fishing. They will not allow incidental dislodge of the rod. You have to grab them with two hands and pull straight up to take the rod out of holder. That is a good thing. Alot of rods are hard to get the rod out of when you have a large cat doubled over rod. I have caught a bunch of cats with them.
    There are a few drawbacks. They are terrific with cat fishing rods but smaller rigs for crappie, not as much. Also the big rods need a 17 series and not a 11. I like to clamp the holder around the front and back of reel and the 11 wont for big rods. I dont like to hold a rod handle at the end in a holder.
    They also rattle like he_ _ when you are at speed. They are the best for trophy fishing but if you are small cat fishing any of the others will suffice.
    If I confused you I can rod up the holders and take some pictures....Email me and let me know how it turns out.