Down East rod holders

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by tbartek, Aug 11, 2006.

1. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I just put several down east rod holders on my pontoon boat and they work great. I love the quick release feature. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these rod holders?

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i got 4 on 16 ft. lyman i think thyr th best u can get:big_smile:

3. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Have used them for several years. A little pricey but I find them well worth the price. Can't beat the quality and the quick release is the best I've seen.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Am Not Familiar With Down East Brand, I've Been Using The Quick Draw System From Cabela's & I'm Pleased With Them.

Can You Send A Pic Or A Link So I Can See Your Pole Holders?

5. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    http://www.down-east.com/ Not trying to promote anything but I really like mine. Have no complaints or problems with them. Really release fast.

6. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Trnsmsn, the link fred put up is the companies web site but, Bass Pro shops have them for $19.99 and I got mine at Wal-Mart for $18.86 each. They're made of cast metal so they won't rust and the clamp is real secure and goes on the rails on my pontoon any way you want. I highly recommend them!

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I have several of them I use on my pontoon my only complaints are the don't lock down well on some of my bigger diameter poles and even though they don't rust they still oxidate so you need to keep them clean and lubricated.

8. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Joe, they make a model I think they call old salty that are specially made for the larger diameter rods.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have used them for years after seeing them on a guides boat at Santee.I think they are the best holders out there.They do make a version for bigger rod handles and it is called something salty.I complained a couple of years ago about the pin being to thin and they came out with a stronger version immediately and then refitted all 16 of mine at no expense.They also sent me all stainless bolts for the holder.They can't be beat for customer service.The salty version was developed from some comments that were made by fishermen about rod handle size.They are quick to incorporate new ideas and the holder itself is the simplest thing to operate.They should be lubed but not excessively at least twice a year.:smile2: