Down and Free lines

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by fisherman48, Sep 9, 2008.

1. fisherman48

fisherman48 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Can anyone enlighten me on how to rig down and free lines and how to fish them. Me and my wife bought a boat this summer and we havent had much luck fishing on skiatook. Someone told me I need to use downlines. Thanks for any advice.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am not even familiar with the term your using, and am wondering if it was referring to the use of a "down rigger" to present your bait at a depth. Down riggers were mostly used in salt water fishing, then they started using them in the great lakes and large impoundments with striper's. Here is a link to an article I found by searching for "using down riggers".

http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/a/downriggers2.htm

There is a lot more articles if you would care to read them.

3. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    welcome to B.O.C.! i don`t know anything about down lines, there are differnt ways of fishing, trot lines, jug lines ,limb lines, drift fishing,tight line fishing, using bait clickers. fishing in summer months are allways a little tough, this time of year the catfish are scattered and it makes it a little like hunting, you have to find them, may require moving around some

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hm, maybe you are talking about" down rods "?

This is when you take a Carolina rig and drop it straight down to your desired depth . Then put it in the rod holder.

Free lining is when you let your weightless line out the back of the boat 100' or whatever you want. You use nice live bait while moving.

Both rigs are use while Striper fishing and while moving but can be slightly change any way you want to adapt to your situations.

-Jim-

Oh, and a big welcome to the BoC ; )

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Brandon,

welcome to the BOC from So.Alabama

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon. I have used "down riggers" for crappie fishing while using my kicker motor to move around. Usually hook into a few channel cats while fishing this way. Have never caught any bigger cats though.