dove opener sep 1st!

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Sep 1, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    let's get some opening day reports and maybe some pics! i'll be going out for the afternoon shoot, hope i can get a few. i'd like to see how others around the country are doing, numbers of birds, etc. thanks!

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Saturday in Virginia. Can't wait. Today is first day for resident Canada Goose. My son and I are going to give them a try this afternoon.

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    not going today but i will prolly go a couple afternoons later in the week.
    good luck to all and let the feathers fly.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    that was a rough one! 40 mph winds make for difficult shooting, but we managed a few birds. did the jalapeno wraps and did a few with the sweet peppers too, all cooked on apple wood. i think i am going to try wraps with green chilis. mmmm..... good luck to all that are going out. we are going to give the roost a rest and head south friday (hopefully) and hit those tailwater pits. they haven't been getting much rain down there, so hunting water is still a good bet- especially when there's cottonwood trees around the water! saw a bunch of quail and pheasants while picking up dead birds, that's a great sign for later in the year. oh yeah!

Attached Files:

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice mess of birds. I bet it was challenging in all that wind.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    friday we went in between kress and plainview, tx. total opposite of opening day's conditions. zero wind, loads of birds. we killed a bunch and didn't burn up too many shells! the pic is dark, it's all the birds on a tailgate before we picked them. nothing like what you got down south, kenneth, but i am happy with it! :wink: still shooting that 20 gauge like a champ!

Attached Files:

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I met my brothers yesterday for a dove hunt at a friend's farm here in Virginia. We had a monster southern lunch, Whole pig slow cooked, turnip greens, tater salad, snap beans, Homemade rolls, sliced tomatoes, and peach cobbler. Everything except the wheat in the rolls was raised on the farm we were shooting.

At 5:00 PM my buddy ended the hunt and we ate steamed crabs, Shrimp and Oysters that I had brought over from the coast. All washed down with ice cold beer and sweet tea. One boy produced a jug of "shine".

Oh yeah,,,,,,we shot a mess of doves also. :wink:

Doing it all over again Monday.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh yeah! that sounds like a frieking blast! from march to august 31st i go through deep depression, treated with occasional hog hunts and collared dove, as well as prairie dog shoots. these treatments help the depression subside a little, till sep 1st when the dark curtain is lifted and i am alive again! i love hunting season! :wink:

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Wait a second, whipping my chin off, you really know how to hurt a guy dont you ? Dove shoot, clold beer, good food, and forgot to invite the rest of us. Shame on you. Your mother should have smacked you up side the head for that. I hope you guys have success tomorrow but I don't really believe you deserve it after what you teased us with. Seriously, have a great day and an extra piece of cobbler for us.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    We also had a good opening day shoot Sat. along with a big lunch to boot and cold beer at cleaning time! We will be shooting again tommrow with a big supper after the hunt that will include the doves harvested on Sat., goose, ect. and more cold beer! Also have a shoot for Tues. on another farm if they decided to shoot in the morning, if not work will get in the way! Good Luck

11. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Another good shoot today. And the meal was huge and great. Looks like I will be left out tommrow they are shooting in the afternoon and grilling steaks after. I am takeing around 30 dressed birds to work tommrow just mabe that will get me enough pull to make the hunt?

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i've found the boss is more likely to give me time off work when they get some meat out of it, the lazy bums! :smile2: they enjoy eating wild game, just don't have a clue how to kill or process! c'mon, how hard is it???

13. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My party of 5 shot brought home 74 birds Sunday. Lost more than I care to admit, but still had a real good time. Hopefully they'll stay another couple of weeks!!

14. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Our Game commission suggests this and we teach it in Hunter Safety classes in Virginia. "Count lost birds towards your limit. I started doing this a few years ago. I count my lost birds towards my limit. I hunted without a dog last Saturday as it was so hot. I lost three birds so I quit after I had 12 in hand. Our VA limit is 15. Its a personal decision that everyone should think about. Whether or not you do it is up to you.:big_smile:

15. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    What I hate to see is the people that shoot but do not pick up their birds as they fall. Like your going to find them after you have X# down in various directions and landscapes, and how can one remmber what they have down? I found several birds from Sat. on Mon., and seen one fellow pull a breast on a 2 day old bird at the cleaning station to almost let the hops fly! My dog is old and this heat puts a major damper on her nose,but her eye sight is great! Anyway I pick up what I have down before putting anymore down. Seldom do I loose a bird.

Well I did not miss much on the hunt today other than the steaks! I think there was around 30 birds killed between 5 hunters. A boy that lives on the farm said the adjoining farm had a good shoot Mon. mabe they killed a good part of the birds? Mabe they left? He said the power lines were packed Sun.? GOOD LUCK!

16. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The only way I can find my birds when I am Dogless is to follow the bird all the way to the ground and walk straight to the bird without ever taking my eyes off the spot. Another thing I won't do anymore is shoot at birds that will fall in thick hard to find a bird areas. I hate hunting Dogless.

17. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had a dog with me, but the other people in my group didn't have the same luxury. I hate losing birds, but we get excited in a group setting and when 3 or 4 birds drop at a time, people's memories tend to get distorted before all of the birds are picked up. I usually count lost birds toward my limit as well. However, I'm not counting other people's lost birds toward my personal limit. Point well taken.

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    this is what i do. last week we were shooting on bare ground between tailwater pits, but it is bordered by milo and cotton. if you drop a bird in the short grass you're good, but that thick stuff you better not take your eyes off it! just like in pheasant season, they leave strips of milo uncut. i don't care how many birds are flying, i don't shoot till i pick up the last one i have downed. i have only lost one dove this year out of 75 or so. thick cover and still no lost birds from this spot!

Attached Files:

19. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dang thats alot of birds. congrats. How long does it take you to clean a mess like that?

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shouldn't have bragged about not losing birds... today was really tough. 45 mph winds, birds were flying high and super fast. i shot up more shells than i care to admit to, :smile2:. also lost 3 birds. if they folded when they got hit, they were not hard to find. but the ones that started fluttering would get blown way out from where they should have fell. those 3/4 oz. loads don't seem to cut it on high shots in the wind. next time i hunt in these conditions, i will take the 12. still managed a couple doves, and a collared and a pigeon too!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009