dove hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by stinkbaitman, Oct 20, 2007.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    does anyone here like to dove hunt?

do you like to eat them?
    i shot one tonight and cleaned it and ate it. not much meat but it was really good. i encourage anyone to try it it tastes like pheasant

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    20 years ago i had a personalized tag that read DUVHNTR.. My uncle raised about 100 acres of popcorn and during the first season I would shoot 5-6 limits per week..it was like hog heaven !!! Back in my wilder days I have shot as many as 100 in one day..and we ate everyone of them..we grilled all of them with a strip of bacon wrapped around it..DE-LISH-US!! In the last 10 years or so I have hardly been able to scrap up a limit on opening day..the population of them around here just aint what it used to be..

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I love shootin them almost as much as eatin them ,I allways thought they tasted a bit like liver myself, but marinades cover that .

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i live to dovehunt. i cant cook em but i like to eat them when my mum cooks them. best dang bird ive ever ate

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Funnest thing there is and if there is a cookout in the field after the hunt, so much the better.

Attached Files:

6. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    you eat pigeons?
    around my place thry are just farmyard pests.
    it sounds gross to me

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    We shoot three specie of pigeons in Paraguay. All wild. They are spotted wing, pale vented, and picazuro pigeons. The city and farmyard pigeons in the USA are actually a type of dove, (Rock Doves) brought to the USA from europe. I never ate one.
    Our wild pigeons in Paraguay are outstanding. We shoot over peanuts primarily. After they have fed on peanuts for a month or two they get a 1/4 inch of yellow fat alll over them. I like them fried, roasted, grilled, or slow cooked with vegetables like a pot roast. Plucked and gutted looking like a cornish game hen they weigh 1/2 pound. These are big birds. In the small state of Boqueron where I like to shoot, we have 18 million pigeons. Its not unusual to have 50,000 birds trying to feed in a 40 acre field. When the peanuts are harvested, the birds come from Brazil, Bolivia, and up from Argentina.

8. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I have only gone twice this season. First time i shot my limit of 12 and the second time i went i shot 5. As far as eating them goes they taste great. kind of like chicken. After cleaning them cover them in your favorite bbq sauce and let it soak it a while, thenwrap in bacon and grill em.:002::big_smile_2: