Douglas County Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mavmannate, Aug 16, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    :big_smile:Anyone ever do any successful fishing at douglas county lake?

Im looking for a smaller lake to take my boat to and do some night fishing, just not clinton or hillsdale since its so big.

any good spots? and where is the boat ramp?

thanks!

2. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka

3. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have fished there for gills with the kids and it is really nice. I have not fished there after dark yet. The boat ramp is on the east side.

4. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    What part do u fish from? And do they allow gas motors?

5. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They recently drained DSFL and restocked it. If your wanting to catch anything of size you might try another lake. Maybe try Kill Creek Lake.

6. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to BOC,

Kansas state website has a lot of useful information on their website.
    Actually there is a boat ramp on both sides of the lake, east and west.
    You can even click from the state website to Google maps and see aerial views of the lake, roads, etc..

In this case, if you zoom in on Google maps you can see the lake before they refilled it with all the bottom features.

For more information, check out http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fi...ic-Waters/Region-2/Douglas-State-Fishing-Lake

For a downloadable PDF map, try
    http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Other-Services/Publications/Maps-State-Fishing-Lakes-Wildlife-Areas

As the one fellow says, they just reopened January 2009.
    Gas motors are fine. Just remember, STATE FISHING LAKES (SFL's) are limited to "fishing" and "recreational boating" is prohibited. Fish limits are pretty small numbers, and minimum length limits are also in place.

Charlie

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Like Geoff said they did drain it and just opened it in january, they have been catching alot of good eaters around 3lbs, and I know there is some a little bigger than that in there also:wink: There is ramps on the east and west side of the lake. The lake also has a real healthy population of big hand sized bluegill! Alot of fun to catch and makes pretty good bait too!

8. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Bluegillz is what my fiance likes to catch. puts up a little fight and isnt HUGE. lol she likes the "idea" of fishing more than really fishing lol.

9. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I would try Gardner or Olathe. There was a 12 lb channel taken from DSFL already, but I imagine there aren't too many bigguns........yet