dough or dip?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by ragincajun19, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I was feeling lazy tonight and decided to do a high school science fair project. I went down to a spot on the verde up here in Cottonwood to see what catches more channels, dough or dip. I had two poles with two hooks on each. One hook with dough and one with dip. Long story short the dip outfished the dough 3 channels to 0. The dip also got me one big ole extremely peeved softshell turtle. The channels were nice too no real dinks, two at 3# and one at about a pound and a half. Perfect eating size if I would have felt like cleaning fish!! I hate to use any of the stuff but was always curious about it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  2. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    i always wondered bout that stuff.sounds like 1 fun science project.

3. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Yep I discovered how well dip works earlier this year before they stop stocking for the summer. I caught 8 stockers in a few hours when I usually just caught 1 or 2. But man, that stuff is gross. I will be buying latex gloves next time.

4. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    team catfish secret 7 dip bait with their "mini furry thing" bait holders

end thread....

5. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You have to order the secret 7 don't you? Price range? I very rarely ever fish with any dip or dough. What are the tricks to fishing that stuff? I rebaited every 10 minutes and changed holes every half hour or 45 minutes. Don't know if it was the right thing to do but it worked ok. I was using hog wild, I just didn't know about the whole brand name issues on this website.

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I haved fished almost every dip bait and dough bait sold on the market and I would tell you they are all crap But last month I tried secret 7 and I am impressed so dont knock it till you try it.:smile2:

7. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Yep! That secret 7 does work well! It is fairly priced as well check website., caught plenty of nice channels at bartlett and local ponds. That stuff smells bad!!!! Gloves for sure!

8. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Damn, I've never even tried dip bait... Actually never even thought of using it, but maybe I should give it a shot. Does it ever attract anything of size or is it usually just smaller ones??

9. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I use secret 7 when I'm not getting anything to bite on other bait. Thanks to secret 7, I haven't been skunked. :cross:

10. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    My brother keeps catching eaters on the river with Hog Wild but nothing too big. Look how happy he is :smile2:.

Attached Files:

11. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    2 of the channels were about 3lbs and the other was a pound and a half or so,

12. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Glad to hear you got some fish! They both have their times.:smile2::wink:

13. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I just ordered a few tubs of that secret 7 and some of the tubes with the 2/0 hooks in them, going out next week so I'll give it a shot!

14. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I;m going to try the secret 7 here pretty soon, I can order it and they deliver to my door. If I want more hog wild I have to drive to phoenix, that makes it a $35 tub of dip bait.:sad2:

15. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I believe it's hogwild that makes these treble hooks with yellow sponges attatched to them. I like using these myself with the secret 7 dip, seems to hold the bait a little longer the the tubes & a little cheaper. 

16. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What I was using and using again tonight is the hog wild tube with a sponge at the bottom. I took the treble hooks off and replaced with a single shank. I gut hook less fish with the single barb. With the dip I found they take it deep.

17. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I've been using those rubber grubs the hog wild guys make. The black ones seem to catch more fish than the red ones:confused2:. I haven't had much luck with sponges or those tubes with holes in them. The grubs don't keep bait on much longer than 10 or 15 minutes but they work.

18. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I read thatsomewhere else too, the guy said the pakages came with red and black tubes and they would just throw the red ones away because the black ones caught more fish.

19. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a dough bait recipe that used to just TEAR the channels up. Wouldnt hardly touch the bottom of the lake b4 i was realin in a fish. I mean if i didnt catch 20+ channels in a night i was peaved. Never had any size tho...maybe 1.5lbs average. So thats why i stoped using it. But i was always a big fan of doughbait. Never let ya get bored lol

20. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You wouldn't happen to want to share that recipe would you?:wink: