dough baits???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rasmotherman, Aug 22, 2009.

1. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i have purchasd dough baits in the past and had no luck. a guy at the lake gave me some secret 7 and i didnt have any luck with that either. i figured these baits were just scams to make money. i always do better with worms that any store bought stuff. well i decided to make my own and try it. i killed em last night. 3 1/2 hrs and 8 channel. 3 were over 4 lbs and the rest were little. i dont know if it was just a good night or the bait. i am going to give a bunch of it away at the bait shop to see if anyone else has the same result. i have to thicken it up a bit but it stayed on ok. does anyone else have luck with dough baits? i am not trying to sell this! i am not trying to make a single penny off of it. if people pick it up (free) and like it i will post the recipe on here for yall. i dont know if it was luck or a good hole or the bait. i am excited to see if other people have the same result. this stuff smells like vomit or roadkill but isnt as stinky as some baits i have smelled. but it also works (imo) better. i will let yall know what others think of it.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've seen some vids on the Secret 7 and what it catches.. Check out youtube and type "TeamCatfish" in the search bar. You'll see what i'm talkin about.:wink:

3. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    im not saying secret 7 isnt great. tons of guys on the lake will tell you it is great. i just havent had luck with it.

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i should have been more specific. i have used the secret 7 blood bait not the dip bait

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are you referring to Sonnys Blood bait and not Secret 7? I didn't know Secret 7 made a blood bait.

6. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    you know mickey i never looked at the container. the guy said secret 7 when he handed it to me. i took my girls to the lake this afternoon and pulled it out. it is LUCKY 7. since lucky 7 isnt a sponsor of the BOC, i will tell you what i really think of it...it is trash LOL. i cant get a bite with it. OBVIOUSLY i have never used or seen secret 7. i looked at the videos on you tube and it looks like i need to try it out. sorry for my stupidity. i never took a good look at the stuff and went by what they guy told me. p.s. i tried my new bait out this afternoon without much luck. i got some bites but they were little one messing with it. maybe in a few days i can get back out at night and give it a good try.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Sounded like you had some pretty good luck Rick. Let us know how that new bait turns out.

8. TheFlatheadWhisperer

TheFlatheadWhisperer New Member

State:
    ohio
    dough bait works great for me in small farm ponds, but i havnt used it anywhere else

9. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    ok this stuff is working pretty good for me so here it is.
    5 BIG creek chubs
    2 tubs of fermented liver (let it turn to a liquid)
    1 lb of cheese
    flour or corn starch
    cotton
    blend up the chubs, liver, and cheese. put em in a tub let them brew in the sun for a few days. it will turn to a bubbly mess. mix in four or corn starch to a peanutbutter consistancy. now it is a dip bait. to make it a dough ball shred cotton and mix it in untill it is the thickness you want for molding it onto a hook. this will make a few lbs of bait
    i know this isnt a novel idea but i have tried all the oils and stuff with no results. i think it is the chubs that made it. i also am going to try some peanutbutter in there. cats love protien and where is there a better source?
    i am also thinking about throwing some strawberry kool aid in one. i have had some of the best lake fishing i have ever had since using this. give it a shot. keep this stuff away from your house cause it is nasty smelling stuff.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sounds like a good recipe, better than the boughten stuff, I don't have much luck with the boughten stuff.

11. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i use the cotton to thicken it cause it holds the bait for a long time. i have had better results with it as a dip bait but you have to reload your tube more often. this stuff is extremely sticky so it lasts a long time but if you want to lay back and not worry about bait go with the dough. i am not sure about how toxic it is with the livers in it so i wouldnt taste it:wink:

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I bet that was lucky 7 . That crap sucks .
    For a dough bait I would go with genos , g & s , bj , or a limburger base dough .
    For dip bait secret 7 or sonnies .

All them I have mention have caught alot of fish for me .

I used to mix limburger with cat tail and catch alot of fish .

Congrats on your recipe and success with it .

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    yeah i looked at it and it was lucky7. it is garbage. i want to try the secret 7. it looks great. for my budget i will use this untill i can get me some secret 7.

14. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Lol, man, I have to give you props for putting in the time to make such a concotion. I don't think I am up for spending that much time and resources into making a bait, but it sounds like it works for you and it is a brilliant idea. I have used dough baits a couple times in the past, but I have not had good luck with them, except a couple small channel cats. I mostly use live bait that I catch, especially creek chubs (they are the best bait going). I fish mostly for flat heads and they prefer live bait. I have got more into blue cat fishing in the Ohio River and freshly cut shad works best for them. Like I said, I love innovative you are, but I don't know if I could make something that rotten, lol. Keep your fishing reports coming in and try to take some pictures to post if you think about it. Take care and good luck!

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    hey bud, i think its always good to try something new just like you did,i try something new every year myself, it mite not be a new way or something new thats out,but just something new to me using or doing. keep us up todate on your fishing with it, and thank for sharing your mix with us:cool2:

16. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Aside for carp, I have never seen the necessity for a dough bait. Cats love shad/skips/gills and others...they are fairly easy to get/catch...they don't have much cost involved(in the long run). Live or cut bait seems to work great for practically everyone on here. That's a track record that I will go with.

17. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    we are going out this evening to give her another tryout. i am still not willing to only bring that for bait but it is winning me over. i also made a batch without the cheese in it which worked equally as good. fishing it next to livers produced the same outcome but landed bigger fish overall. i count that as luck though. i only treid making it cause i wanted to try a dip bait on the lake i now fish and dont have extra cash for it. i have maybe $2 spent on it if you dont count the livers. they were going to be tossed out anyways as they had turned to mush. i figure anythig high in protien that smells like rotted fish will draw them in. i will post on how the night goes. i will probably only be out for a few hrs got to be up early for job hunt.

18. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    a lot of times i dont know if i am going fishing untill tha last minute. or should i say "if i am alowed to go fishing". it is easy to just throw it in the boat or in the box and go. i use cut bait most times for channels which i sometimes will freeze for convience. for me it really is about being able to run up last minute and fish for 2 or 3 hrs. that is how most of my fishing is done. in 17 years i can cut this leash from my neck and be able to put more time into fishing.:wink: (i put the wink just in case she sees this)

19. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    got last 2 on my bait first one was on livers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  20. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    some more