Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys I read on making my own dough bait which consisted mostly of corn meal a little flour, amino acids and maybe some anise oil. anyone give me some tips on consistency as far as how much of each to use?

· Registered
943 Posts
Personaly I'd add some kind of cheese or fish oil etc into the mix. Cornmeal and flour wont put alot of scent out for the cats to follow. The amount of Anise would depend on how much odor/scent you want and how much of the other ingredients are in the mix? We only use about 2 tablespoons when we mix up our cornmeal carp dough and its about 1 1/2lbs when done and wrapped. Anise is potent.

· Registered
14 Posts
I went out fishing for carp at a nearby lake and was using just regular doughballs. All I did was take a chunk of bread and wad it up into a ball around my hook. However I did not catch a single carp, I did catch 3 good sized channel cats. I was pretty surprised but hey, whatever gets the job done i guess

· Registered
3 Posts
You can mix up just about anything in there to give you the smell. Flour is the key to holding it all together, you just need to mix enough in to get the consistancy you want. After fishing with a dough bait once or twice you may need to add more flour to get it back the way you want it. As mentioned before, cheese is always good. I melt a cube of Limberger in milk, let it cool, and add flour. This is DEADLY for eating sized channels. Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.