Dough Bait Question...

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by 10gaOkie, May 26, 2008.

1. 10gaOkie

10gaOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What do I need to use to desolve range cubes in, water or something else?
    In recent years, I have used either minnows or store bought baits for my trotlines and it worked well except not being cheap by any means. When I was a kid, my dad brought me up trotlining and he used his homemade dough bait and beef blood. He always had plenty of bait and didn't go broke getting it. He is now 92 years old and doesn't remember how he made the dough bait but I remember some of it and his main ingrediant was cottonseed cake. So that's where I came up with the range cubes for my main ingrediant. I also plan to add, sliced bread, Thi fish sauce, anise oil, blood, peanut butter, cheese and Big Red pop, maybe. I thought about using the soda pop to disolve the cubes in and stay away from using water, just not sure. Any tips?
    Thanks...
    Chris

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Try using chitlings flavored with garlic, anise, vanilla, shrimp or cheese flavoring, etc. Cut the chitlings into bait sized pieces put a couple of pounds into a ziploc bag, add the flavoring, squish around, and let marinate for a day or two before using. The chitlings take on the added scent, and they're so tough they stay on the hooks really well.

3. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Take whatever I say with a grain of salt, but I remember talking to a guy who had his own machine for making range cake. He said one of the ingredients was clay. I think Bentonite clay. So water should disolve it pretty well.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris Welcome to the BOC. Be sure to check out the BOC library for other Dough Bait receipts.