Dough bait liver falling off you hook?fix it!

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by liplifter, Jul 31, 2009.

1. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    use about a 3" square of panty hose works great and even comes in wild colors.Kinky fishin' have your ole' lady buy it though you don't want her finding it in your boat!

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Change the consistency of the dough bait by adding fibers. Add lint, cotton, cattails,or hair and just use a treble hook.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I just toughen mine up with ice water. When I take mine out of the boiling water. I dip them into ice water. Toughens then right up.
    Pete

4. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    I use Tulle its a mesh type material that I cut into 4in squares and place the liver in the middle and use elastic thread and it goes there the Hobby Lobby has it all and not that bad priced less then $5 for all. :wink:

5. rustyrod

rustyrod New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    yes sir i would like to get the recipe you use for your dough balls thanks rustyrod

6. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mickey is right on with this one. Use the cotton or use lint from your dryer as we all have it around in the laundry room. Just shred it up (blender if wife allows) in small pieces and mix well with your bait it adds a sort of holding power to the treble hook. I typically use the dough bait trebles that have the spring around the hook, they hold the best in my opinion. If you don't have springs, take the spring out of a ball point pen and use that on the hook. I have caught fish just by dipping this hook in a dip bait that was made sticky by adding flour using no noodles, etc. Works great on fish you know you want to keep for eating.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    LOL.

8. Cowtip

Cowtip New Member

State:
    texas
    I use pieces of cheese cloth with elastic thread. Works great!:wink:

9. endy317

endy317 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    skip the pantie hose idea....hook live twice ans tie it with thread not to tight cause it will tear liver so its more of a wrap then a tie

10. Roadblock

Roadblock New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have found that the key to keeping chicken livers on is, first, use good fresh livers that haven't been frozen & thawed very much. I get mine at Wal-mart, $1.49 per tub. If they are good and fresh, I can usually keep them on single hooks with no fancy measures.

Once they begin to soften, I use treble hooks (size 4/0) and push the hook up through the liver. (I use snap swivels on the end of my line to allow for easy hook removal)

Beyond that, I like to use bait mesh, aka egg sacks. They come in multi color rolls or 3-4" squares and they are better than panty hose, more permeable. Put in liver, dough or whatever soft bait you want and tie them up. You almost have to cut them off the hook. :smile1: