double vs. single bridged eyes?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by mikemck, Nov 8, 2008.

1. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is there any advantage to dbl bridged eyes?

I feel more confident in dbl bridged eyes, but are they really any better?

TIA

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm not certain they are better but i'm inclined to think they have to be stronger. My stuff gets knocked banged around alot and anything to prevent a breakdown is a plus.

3. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    How about this:

Why are the eyes on the Ugly Stik Catfish rod single bridged, but the eyes on the much cheaper Shakespeare Wild Cat dbl bridged?

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    First off, allow me to welcome you to the best outdoors site on the web, sorry i just noticed you are new. With that being said, i can't answer why some companies build the way they do. Like i said i'm hard on equipment, and stronger is better for me. We have some sponsors here on the BOC that build top notch equipment. Tested and approved is an understatement. If your looking for a good set-up at a fair price take the time to check out catfish safari web page. Steve is the only one that i've personally seen, but there are other quality rods marketed here also. Look around, you'll like this place if ya love the woods and water like i do.:wink:

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    ( attitude ? :eek:oooh:)

Welcome to BOC, But How about this!!

Maybe the Wildcat is a casting blank,and the ugly stick catfish is spinning.

Have you ever thought of that?

The single footed guides are normally used under a blank as in spinning. You know when you are cranking in a big fish the guides give with the weight of the fish not putting pressure on the Blank, and letting the rod do all the work in fighting the fish..

Double footed guides are 99.9% for casting IMHO. And heavier obvious:roll_eyes:.Needing the extra foot to keep in perfect balance on top the spline on the rod blank and aiding it not to twist under load of a fish..

Here is a place you can learn alot ..hope it helps

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

6. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Both have their place depending on the action and power of the blank. (I'm not a pro builder, just mess around with stuff)

For rods up thru mh, I prefer single foot for 2 reasons. One foot=1 wrap, and doesn't restrict the action as much. It also keeps the weight down a bit. I'll add 1 extra guide, to help with the bend, keeping the line off the blank better when it's loaded up.

For heavy rods, I put on double foot. Stronger to take the heavier weights I'm throwing, and for really pulling one up. Just have to watch placement to avoid killing the action.

When you're buying a rod, put a reel on it and have them give you 10' of line so you can check the flex of the rod. You'll definitely see the difference between 2 comparable rods with different guide sets.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Well spoken Steve,,:wink:

I myself only use Md/Hvy and up and the 2 footers are the way to go for me as well,Single foot guides are a better spin guide IMO ,, I guess its personal prefference..

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    They also use a lot of single footed eyes on the IM6 and up graphite rods like said before so it does not take away from the action of the rod. As the rods are rapped and each eye is finished that spot is not as flexible as it was before the eye was placed on the rod. Also most spinning rods have single footed eyes.

Hope this helps

9. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ah yes, I had wondered why most casting rods had dbl footed eyes. Never thought about casting rods being used "right side up", as opposed to spinning rods. Makes perfect sense to me now.

I guess I got some reading to do, about rod building in general, so make it click into place concerning eyes, placement, action effect, & so forth.

Thanks all very much, excellent information.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. Good post!! I too learned from this. Thanks to all for the comments.