Double hook Rig

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by WhiskerWacker, May 21, 2008.

1. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I mainly fish for big flattheads, and do ok but when I switch to a large bait like drum I have a hard time with the hook set. The fish as they hit seem to have some serious weight to them but don't seem to get the hook in their mouth. I bought a book called The Encyclopiedia of Fishing knots and rigs, and they show 2 hook rigs that you tie snell around the line using another piece of monofiliment, these rigs do not seem to help the hookset the fish is running full steam and I crank down and set the hook but seem to have problems about 30 ft in or so. The bait I guess bends in half or something, also the front hook on the rig slides across the line. My big problem with just tying two hooks on the line is I do not think the short piece of line could hold a big fish. My question is... does anybody out there use 2 hook rigs for large baits above a pound and could you point me in the right direction into upping my hooking percentage with big baits? The cats just love to eat a drum about 12-14" even bigger than that they cannot leave it alone for long. Thanks

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    what size hooks ,what pound test , could go with single hook behind the eyes they normally eat head first , but the way flats just suck their prey in it is hard to say .

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I have tried it before but it seemed to tangle and cause problems I didn't forsee. I decided when I try it again I am going to use a steel leader to keep it straight along the fish. Primary hook in the front and secondary hook on the steel leader in the tail of the fish.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Try a double snell on a single line.... thread the first hook thru the eyes and the second thru the back behind the dorsel fin. And make sure your hooks are super sharp. And one more thing you might try circle hooks or kayles

5. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    I run thirty pound "ANDE" mono and use 8/0 Gamagatsu octopus cirles. I tie snell doubles but the front hook slides cause another piece of line is used to tie the snell no matter how many wraps I put on the front snell it still slides causing the fish to bend in half. I am thinking of maybe using braid to tie the front snell maybe it will sinch tighter?

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If your snell hook is sliding then you are tying them wrong.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    What you are looking for is called a stinger hook. Its just two snelled hooks about 4-6 inches apart. It works very well, especially when your drifting and the fish are hitting short strikes. That back stinger hook will get them a lot of times.

-Jim-

If you need a pic of one let me know.

8. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    MAN NEVER HAD NO LUCK ON A DOUBLE HOOK RIG. I HAVE TRIED THEM SEVERAL DIFFERENT WAYS AND CANT MAKE THE DANG THING WORK. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK. ONE HOOK, ONE SET, ONE FISH:smile2::big_smile:

9. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    Thanks for all the help. I think I will try that stinger hook rig this evening and see if it helps. I am also going to keep trying this snell stuff, I can tie real nice looking snells but I still cannot get the front hook not to slide there is decent tension on it but not enough to hook a large fish.

10. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    You can tie a catfish hair-rig. Tie a circle or khale hook on your line with a snell knot. Then below that about an inch under the main hook, tie on a smaller j-hook. Hook your bait with the j-hook and leave the other one exposed. When the fish inhales the bait, you will have an exposed hook to catch him with. There is a picture of it below. I tie mine by leaving a tag end on my snell and tying the smaller hook to it. This also works for cut bait. I have used this and it works great. A hair-rig is a European rig for catching carp.
    http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2776/02172007085913amli0.jpg

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Opinion

Go back n read ALL the people that have had problems with circles. Personally I like less problems.

If using a turned hook there is a right way and a wrong way to place the hook in a large live bait....keeping in mind it will most likey be taken head first. Bigger baits bigger hooks may help.

Keep in mind I'ma no expert.
    "Good Hunting"

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I have moved back to a single hook rig, because I found I was hooking a high percentage of channels really deep. Rather than trying to do minor surgery many swam off with a hook left in. Some fish that I would normally release went home with me because there was significat damage to gill or gut. I felt it was a more responsible thing for me to do(I don't use trebles for similar reasons). I miss a percentage of fish, but, I leave alot of fish in good shape to breed and be caught again.

Richard

13. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've had good success using large baits running a #4 treble hook stinger hook. I hook the treble in the tail and I believe the treble hook hooks first giving your "big" hook a chance to sink in. I've used this using suckers,carp, and largemouth bass as bait.

14. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Thttp://www.wildwolfproducts.com/2hook.htm this co has a good 2 hook rig.

15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have used the 2 hook rigs. I tied them up with a single piece of line snelling both hooks. I have caught fish with them on the top and bottom hook.

16. KSKatter

KSKatter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    try tying the first hook to your mainline and leaving a long tag end, then just tie the stinger hook to the tag line

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Here ya go, a true stinger. Snell your hook like normal at the tag end. This is the smaller hook aka stinger hook. Then go up the line a few inches and snell another hook, usually a bigger hook that is hooked threw the nose or up both lips and out one nostril. Striper guys use a small bullet weight between both hooks for drifting.

This pic is on a #50 mono leader. Using 2 lines would be called a hair rig...used by Carp fishermen...I hope this helps ya some.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff114/jimmyjonny/100_2603.jpg

-Jim-

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This is just my 2-cents......I use a king kahle 9/0 and have a good hook up rate. No circles for me. The hook is huge and can handle the biggest of baits. I noticed in your post that you mentioned using circle hooks and also mentioned setting the hook?

19. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I snell both my hooks on a 80lb leader and have had no trouble....