Double Bubbles...More oxygen?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by smitty0312, Jun 4, 2009.

1. smitty0312

smitty0312 New Member

State:
    NW Illinois
    Hi guys, it's my 1st post here, new to the site and love it! I just thought of an idea to produce more air bubbles possibly in your live bait bucket/cooler. If you would to put a "T" fitting on the end of the air tubing in the water and put 2 bubble stones there, would that produce more oxygen in the livewell? I don't know if they even make these fittings for tubing or not. I just converted one of our 56 qt. coolers into a livewell for keeping my gills/bullheads alive alot longer. I have a bubble box from wally world. Would that have enough power to do 2 bubble stones? Any help well appreciated!! Smitty

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Not sure myself Dan. Probably some one here has tried it and will give you an answer. Welcome to the BOC.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Maybe you could run an air bar instead of an air stone . They do make t fittings . Just look in the pet food section at walmart for the fish stuff , they have plastic and stainless ones .

Welcome to the B.O.C.

4. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    probably not gonna help unless the output of one pump is alot more than can be discharged from one stone!! if so it would create a typee of back pressure and would forcee some out the other stone , but really probably no noticeable gains!! but who knows try it out:big_smile:

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when transporting in the truck i use an inverter with a fish tank bubbler that has a 2 nd hole for 2 air stones and that seems to keep my bait lively all nite, but T'ing off one line might not be enough power to make a difference

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Your pump is only going to put out so much air. If you add a second stone to it, it's going to cut the air in half. I think you're going to get about the same amount of air out in the end result unless you add a second pump.

However, it might not be a bad idea in case one stone gets stopped up or something. Then you've got a backup that will still produce good bubbles.

I had been using the small cylinder shaped stones and had good success, but a few months ago I saw a disc shaped stone that was considerable larger. The disc shaped stone fits in a recessed area in the bottom of my bait bucket and it works great. It produces a little more bubbles than the cylinder shaped one and it distributes it from the bottom. It's nice not having a hose hanging in there from the top too.

If I remember right, the disc shape has a smooth bottom and you could glue it to the bottom of your cooler without losing any of it's effectiveness. Run your hose on the side, or through if you can seal it, of the cooler and secure it some way.

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC from Texas!

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    im actually going to be using almsot the same thing as he is talking about this afternoon in trying to set up my bait trough. i have several air pumps alying around from my ventures in hydroponic tomotoes, plus i plan on using a sub pump to keep the water moving. any more tips on this owuld be appreciated.

me and my uncle used to keep bait all the time and never had a problem with jsut the sub pump and shade. seems like i always encounter the odd problems though

9. smitty0312

smitty0312 New Member

State:
    NW Illinois
    I bought an extra 2pk. of bubble stones, I'll just throw them in bottom of tackle box for back-up if needed. Smitty

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bet that stone that comes with those aerators does not hit maximum efficiency. I would bet if you added either a T with two stones or a bar stone like suggested above you would probably see some improvement, but not a tone. So you might add double the air stones (100% increase) and get a 10% increase in air. On the other hand that pump might push less air than the one stone can use on its own and doubling it would not help. It all just depends on how much juice your pump has.

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If teeing it off is anything like water flow its only gonna push the same rate, just differnt directions. Just my oppinion, good luck, and welcome to the B.O.C.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dan Welcome to the BOC.:0a22::0a25::0a25: Some Reps to get you started.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I used to raise tropical fish as a sideline when I was younger.You can go into any tropical fish or pet store and get all the parts your looking for.The pump must have sufficent output to power two stones.More importantly is to keep your stones clean or replace fairly often with new ones.When they get dirty,clogged,or covered with slime,this increases the back pressure on your pump and decreases both it,s air output and it,s longevity.You can get a splitter for 6 or more outlets if you buy a pump with that much capacity.Any knowledgeable pet shop can fill you in on all this.:big_smile:

14. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC the best site on the web

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    NO it would hurt the air pressure that a one airstone bubbler needs to create the maximum pressure going ito the stone, Meaning the stone would not be getting enough pressure to create as many bubbles as it is supposed to.

The less tubing you use the better

The less crap in between the bubbler and the stone the better

they do make double bubblers for $10-$15 if they would make you feel more confident in your aeration.

Hope this helps!

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    With air bubbles the object is to get more and smaller bubbles. The smaller the bubbles the more surface area there is for Oxygen. This is one reason why UN-iodized salt is good for aeration....typically used for herring and shad by Striper/Cat fishermen.

Try this experiment: fill a container with X-amount of plain water. Then observe the bubble size. Then add salt to it and you will notice the bubbles are now a lot smaller. This highly increased the oxygen intake.

If your only running only 5 Gallons of water then one stone is fine, but if your using more water go with a strip or 2 stones as mentioned.

I've used two stones before because I wanted bubbles on both side of the tank vs. only in one spot.

I also used suction cups to hold down my airlines and strips/stones.

If you use stones, some will put out smaller bubbles than others do...little bubble = the best bait.

17. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    agreed 100%....sorry I didn't go into the details jimmyjonny did.........I was at work!