double beard

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by on_the_fly, May 4, 2009.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my buddy harvested a double bearded tom yesterday morning. one was 9 1/4 and the other 5 1/2, bird was 26 lbs and had 1 1/4 spur and 1 1/8 spur on the other leg. we got some pics with his cam after he emails me a few I will post some pics.:cool2:
    theres something about him and freek beards I tell ya, he harvested a bearded hen last year:eek:oooh:

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I sure would like to see the pics. Sounds like it was a great bird and big to.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have question. I just got back from my first hunting trip ever...we whent for turkey and black bear. Didnt get either. My buddy say the birds must have been "Henned up". Can a turkey be considered a "Tom" and not have a beard?

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That would be a very young "Jake", Dameon. BTW: I have seen four and even five beards on turkeys this year!!!!

Bill in SC

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    a male turkey is called a JAKE from hatch to untill the beard is around 4 inches before earning the Tom name with age. here in ky they go off of a 3 inch beard that is were the hunting guide book seperate them as far as tom being a 3 inch or longer beard and are fall seasson is three hens and only one bird with over a three inch beard. my pet turkey has a 2 1/2 inch beard and you can barely see it when he is struting but it stands out when his feathers are down.

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    here a pic of that double bearded bird my friend clint got a few days ago.

Attached Files: