Double barbed hooks vs single barbed

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ravensmavsfan, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I bought these double barbed size 2/0 hooks made by striker king and I'm
    wondering if they hold on any better than single barbed.

I planning on just using them with livers and worms for eater size channels.

When i say double barbed i actually mean 2 barbs on one hook right next to each other.

Not two single barbed hooks welded together like a treble hook.

2. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Those sound like some hooks called "Wisker Stickers" by "Strike King" that I use to use. If so --- They work OK for what you plan on using them for. :)
    :0a23:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I bet they would hold well.

One of the problems I have with Flatheads is not the hook stayin stuck but not getting the hook to stick deep enough for the barb to hold period. My best guess/opinion is that large hooks have the barbs way WAY to far up from the point. If it hits part of the bony part of their mouth it can not go deep enough for the barb to do its job.

<><Baitkiller><>

4. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    yep thse sound like whisker stickers. i use them alot. they're good hooks, and they'll keep the fish on, but they are a pain to remove with the second barb. it's just a matter of preference.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have some two barbed j style hooks from eagle claw, the barbs are kinda far up the shank. They can also be a pain to snell but can be done. Also if you use large enough bait the barb can hold the bait on.

6. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I use single barbed hooks primarily because they are easier to remove and imo cause less stress on the fish while being removed.

7. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ravensmavsfan, it sounds like you are talking about a "sliced shank" hook. These hooks can have up to three barbs on the shank and are used for soft baits like worms, chicken livers, or some types of live bait. They will work fine for what want them for.

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    actually, you dont need 2 barbs on a hook for catfishing. matter of fact the less barb the better off you are. 2 barbs will decrease your hook penatration. thats not good. it also makes it more difficult to remove the hook. i actually smash my barbs down with needle nose pliers or take a little off with a file. once a cat is hooked, it is not that easy for them to just flop off the hook. they are a very thick skinned fish.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use the double barbed kahle hooks or the wisker stikers all the time and i think they work great.Once there hooked you dont have to worry about them getting off,but like some others have said they are a pain to get out.Ive been using those strike king hooks for awhile and have caught many a big cat on them.I did buy some eagle claw kahles that only have the single barb on there and im going to see which ones that work better for me.Thats really the key,to find which ones work the best for you.