Double and Triple bait rigs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MON RIVER RAT, Jun 1, 2007.

1. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Does anyone use double or triple bait rigs for catfish. I mean two or three hooks with different bait per pole. Are these rigs strong enough for catfish if so how do you rig them and with what baits. Example, one pole maybe live gill and cut gill.

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I occasionally will use a rig with 2 hooks. I don't use it for big fish. I use it when i'm catching smller channels. I tie a sinker on to the bottom of the line, then make a loop about 12" above that and another loop about about 15" above the first one. Then just use the loop to attach hooks. I've caught fish up to 14# on this rig with 10# test line.
    Chip

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have a few 2-hook rigs from Gene our sponsor "WildWolf Products" and thay come with 10/0-7/0 primary to 7/0 primary to 7/0 secondary. I think he'll make what you need. They are excellent quality and the price is right!!!

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Wouldn't let me edit...here is the link...

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/

Also check out his kat-bobbers and glow sticks. The price,quality and durability can't be beat!!!!! Just ask a lot of the membership!!!

Mean Gene is a heck of a guy that strives to make his customers happy also and is a long time sponsor.
    It won't cost anything to go have a look,you won't be disappointed,I promise!!! :big_smile:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I wouldn't recomend dual or trey leaders and hooks for flatheads. Whatever live bait you have on WILL eventually tangle itself in the other leaders. Thus limiting its range of movement and fish attraction lol. I can see a dual set up for channel or blue fishing but they would be most effective if drifting or anchored in deep water and dropped right under the boat so you could keep a tight line to keep the leaders seperated. Wouldn't be so good for bottom fishing from the bank. Unless you didn't care if they tangled and just wanted to figure out what bait was working best then switch to singles and one bait.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When using cut bait, I generally use a two-hook rig with the sinker on the bottom. If I'm fishing with fresh cut shad or skipjack, I'll usually bait both hooks with that. If I don't have that bait, or if I don't get any hits off it, I have to try to find something the cats will hit. That's when I put a different bait on each hook.

7. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will usually use a triple circle hook rig.placed about 6-8in. apart with a 6oz. sinker on bottom,I set them relatively close as I usually fish off a dock and it would be difficult to cast 4feet of line hanging off my pole so I try to keep it around 3 feet,but it does sometimes come out to 4 feet.

I have tried to use this 3 hook rig with a weight on top,and usually pulled in a mess afterwards..need the sinker on the bottom otherwise any current will just knarl the hooks together..Not always,but usually.

For bait I will use,head on top hook,piece of middle body on center hook,and tail on the lower hook..Shad that is,or bluegill if no shad.

Peace and plenty,
    Kevin