Dose anyone run Tohatsu?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cuttingout69, Aug 21, 2006.

1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I just got me a new 30 hp Tohatsu last week. I am still breaking it in, but so far so good. I love the way it sounds, the way it runs, and the fuel mileage it get. I traded in my 4 stroke Yamaha for a 4 stoke Tohatsu. It comes standard with power tilt and trim. It is built like no other outboard I have looked at other than Nassian, which the only difference in the two is the name on the side. Tohatsu make Nissan. Mine is new, with warranty, but it is a 02 model. Quite like nothing, I have heard even in the 4 stroke out there. Any one else have one?

Bob Paul what is your take on them.

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I own a Tohatsu 25hp 2 stroke. It's a 1999 model and it runs great.

Only thing I have ever done to it was put a water pump in it once, and new plugs. It starts every time without a problem.

This is the best boat motor I have ever owned. I highly recommend them to anyone who's looking for a dependable motor.. Mine is really easy on the fuel too...Great power for a 25hp...

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Nissan/Tuhatsu makes a good dependable motor.

Drawback to that brand is the higher cost of parts. The moment you suspect anything wrong, demand that the warrantee work gets done, if it applies.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The reviews I have read about the Tohatsu motors have all been good. Made by Nissan for commercial fisherman in Japan this is supposed to be one tough motor. But parts for repairs may be a little high, so if anything does go wrong use your warrenty.

5. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    My Friend Has A Boat Rental Buisness Here In Lake Okeechobee. He Has Pontoon & Regular Fishing Boats, All Are Equipped With Tohatsu 4 Stroke Motors. He Has Yet To Have Any Problems With Any Of Them In Over 4 Yrs.

They Are Very Finicky As Far As Fuel Goes, Do Yourself A Favor & Install A Racor Or Similiar Type Of Fuel Filter.

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    what type of fuel system are you talking? Racor? What is this?

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Racor is a water separting filter it is a tank type filter and in biger boats installed in pairs. Very easy to maintain and they also filter everything along with water.

8. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I have an 03 30 hp 4 stroke Tohatsu, it has been the best motor I have Owned, the only problem I have is it will not start unless it is trimmed all the way down. I have it on a Grumman 1648 and it will push me and 1 other person 31 mph according to my gps. The gas mileage is great 2.2 gallons an hour at full throttle! You won't get that out of any 2 stroke.

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I sure do like my 40 TLDI. :smile2:

10. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A couple of years ago, I needed a 4hp, 4 stroke kicker motor for my jet boat. I wanted a Tohatsu, but there was no dealer close by. I ended up settling on a Mercury. When I got it home and started looking at it, I quickly realized that it is a Tohatsu. The only difference is the paint scheme.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a 1983 40 hp mariner , i was told its a tihotsu runs good most of the time and gets round 4 miles to the gallon