doodle line ?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Poppa, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Anyone ever heard of a doodle line? Years ago when I was a boy I remember
    seeing old timers rig these lines. The line consisted of a main line that had
    a looped knot about every 4 to 6 ins. making about a 6 in. drop. Hooks had
    the doubled line of loop run through the eye of the hook and then around the
    bend and then pulled tight. You had to put the line through the eye from the
    right direction so if drug across your hand the point of the hook would dig
    in. If you run your line through from wrong direction the hook will roll on its
    side and slide by not hooking anything. These lines were soaked in motor oil
    mixed with anise oil. They were put out like a trotline with no bait. The catfish
    were attracted to the smell and would rub the line foul hooking themselves.
    I have never fished a doodle line but heard about them a lot when I was a kid.

2. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I don't know what they were called, but I've heard of people doing something like you wrote, but they were tying pieces of cotton seed cake on the lines to attract the catfish.

I wonder if it's legal to do so?

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Guess it all depends on your state regulations. To my knowledge the only thing we can snag in Oklahoma is the paddlefish. Maybe allowed to snag non-game fish, but I'm not sure of that... wouldn't want to anyhow. LOL

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Sounds kinda strange. Not sure if it's legal here.