Don't you hate that?

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by rednecksportsman511, May 26, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Don't ya hate the feelin of losing a nice fish at the last second? Well yesterday me and a bud of mine Chris went fishin on the lake. I had set out a line for cats baited with nasty old smelly hotdogs. Meanwhile, i was fishin for bass/bream/crappie on an ultralight setup. Well, a lil crappie hit my topwater bumblebee crankbait, but it got off. Then i noticed my cat line gettin tight.

I ran over and grabbed the rod, and i set the hook on that sucker three times, real hard. Im usin some double barbed hooks. WELL THAT SUCKER STARTED RUNNIN. I was expectin a 6-8 lb cat. i didn tnotice at the moment, but it was REALLY runnin for a cat. THe sun was glarin on the water, and it splashed at the surface, went back down. I noticed its mouth was huge for a cat. Then, the dern thing jumped right outta the water like a marlin or a bass-when i realized IT WAS A BASS! DANG BIG ONE TOO! But when it jumped, the thing threw my hook....needless to say, i couldnt sleep well last night.

I'll be headin out there tonight so we'll see what happens.

2. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's the spirit, get back after him.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I lost a 50-lb class flathead at the bank last year, it hurt for a long time.

4. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive hooked 2 on the ohio to pull the rear of the boat around and swim away with 80lb powerpro in his face....

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    that must have been some hungry bass because they dont really eat anything off of the bottom needless to say a rotton hotdog. i think you should go back to your lake and catch him and EAT em to teach em a lesson. :lol: good luck next time!

6. bird_dog2011

bird_dog2011 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    nice bass or something i would say i would be really mad and i would hite it really hard in that same spot and wouldnt stop until i was satisfied on a great fish.lol

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I've caught a few Bass off the bottom on night crawlers. :smile2:

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Last year I actually managed to catch a largemouth on fillet o' minnow (I caught the 10" minnow on worm earlier that day). If the bait had been moving I might have understood it, but it had been sitting for 15 minutes. Those minnow sides are the best bait I have found for channels in these local lakes. If I can't get those I use live bluegill up to 5", and of course the bass tear those up too.
    Managed to catch a hybrid on cut shad last week as well, but it hadn't been sitting very long.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You had a great and wonderful experience.Boating the fish,ain;t what it is all about.You got all of the great part,and it is sitting right there waiting on you again.Think about it.You got all of what most of us go for.peewee-williams

10. CountryCarp14

CountryCarp14 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey man that isabout like my story

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I know how you feel, My wife hooked in to a real fighter last weekend but it got off at the last sec. Now she is asking me "when are we going fishing!" She is a determined one for sure!

12. Angelcat

Angelcat New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I know what you are talking about, I hook a big one last weekend and got it to the bank and it rolled a couple of times, and took off. Boy, I was depress and still am. I would have like to see how much that one weighed, but I guess easy come easy go!! :roll_eyes:

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've caught my fair share of bass off the bottom with crawlers and crawdads. My cousin caught a 4lb bass on a chunk of hotdog under a bobber once out of a retention pond.

14. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    To bad it wasn't a fish with scales, you could of seen how much it weighed before it took off, lol. :lol:

15. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Oh, man. I know how that feel. Last year we were on the lake out of Portage, IN. My friend tied into a fish that doubled his pole over and he started fighting the fish. In about five minuets another pole started stripping out line. I grabbed that pole and started fighting the fish. The captain of the boat said I was probably fighting a Steel head, by the way he was fighting. I have never caught one of them. After about fifteen minuets my fish made a run and was gone. My friend lost his about ten minuets later...:crazy:
    We cried and cried it hurt bad, but come the first of July we are going back to see if we can get them fish into the boat!!!:smile2:

16. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Last week I caught a small largemouth on a chunk of bluegill that was almost too big to fit in its mouth. We were fishing for catfish in a huge pile of trees and had been there for about 30 minutes. No cats tho, go figure.:smile2:

17. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im sure we al have lost some really nice fish at one time or another, off the top of my head, I remember loosing a 10+ lb channel on my ultralight one time when my line broke about 50 feet up the line from the hook, maaaan, that ticked me off, it was brand new line also.

On another note, I one time cast a wheatie ball into my favorite muddy park pond that was up and looked like coffee with cream in it, it hit the water and as I put the rod down, about lost it as a 17" largemouth grabbed it and that was the nicest bass I ever took out of that pond, I figure it splashed right next to him and he instictively hammered it, right time, right place I guess.

Salmonid