Dont Want It If I Cant Eat It

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Duane, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Im a simple man small house small boat regular life .If i cant eat it I dont want it .How many of you just go after food not the leviathons .are am I just an old odd ball .If I catch a 40 lb der great but I wont eat her toooo much toxins .So the 3 to 10 lb boys it what i want .i cant lie mostly fry some give alot away to friends plus we have a big fish fry twice a year at work guess who supplys the fish they Love me !! Where I fish there is a saltwater marsh close by so sometimes I catch reds and drum Im not a fan of either .Bugs me .but a good mess of bream and catfish aint that bad.

2. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think you are alone. I do go after the larger fish, but the smaller ones are just as good. I don't eat the larger fish either. I don't eat many at all actually. I do love the challenge of catching the bigguns though, but I am just as happy with catching smaller fish.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i dont eat any of the catfish where we catch them in the delta here. i will eat some from out of one of the lakes i fish but not very often. and id rather have small ones if i am going to eat them.

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I feel the same way. I love to eat my fish and dont pursue things I cant or wont eat. I have enough stress each day in the pursuit of my carreer to turn my relaxation into another contest. I fish and hunt because I truelly love to do it. I have taken on decent buck in my life and donated the rack to the boyscouts. I feel that each fish/animal is a blessing and take what I need. Every fish/animal taken by legal and fair means is a trophy. Besides what else goes so good with lemon and pepper.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Im that way sometimes too... though usually its more that im going for a tug on the line rather then a plate of food or a picture or certificate/trophy on the wall... If im not in the mood to go to a place w/ catfish or im not in the mood to sit and wait and want to move around alot i'll go after sunnies as bait.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    im not the biggest fish eating person, so all i do is go after the big one. But catching small ones is fun too

7. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I eat the fire out of fish, but I do throw anything over about 10 lbs or so back. Nothing like a fresh batch of fish, turkey and mushrooms to satisfy the ol' taste buds. It's almost that time of year. God bless.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do both but I always hope for a mess of fish for supper. Hmmmmmm Good.

I tackle the smaller ones and sometimes have a line out with a bream on it, just to see whats in my lake. :)

9. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I must agree. Not that I have not eaten some of my larger catches, but I have found the ones under 10 lbs or so to be superior! Anyway, I think the best part of fishing is just getting away from the daily grind . . . catching and eating are just great bonuses!

10. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I think we're all in the same boat.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry I was posting on wrong thread. LMAO

12. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    i suppose i would be the same, but i don't catch anything over 10lbs so i don't have to worry about the big ole trophy fish picture.. besides i like to eat the smaller channels out of the river, it just seems like the bigger fish out of the ponds i fish taste a little rubbery to me.. and have never caught anything over 6-lbs :crying:

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I ALWAYS would rather catch a big one, I mean I love fish and eat it alot. But if I had a choice betweeen a big one and a small one it would always be a big one. Although I do keep all the smaller ones I catch for eating, and I catch alot of them, but they are not what I am targeting. I am after the record!:)

14. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Me too, I'm after the eaters!

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i love catching all sizes of cats but im after that trophy cat

16. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like to me we all enjoy doing our way. Be eaters or trophies.

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I find that I mostly fish to mostly have something to do and pass time, of course what better way to pass time than fishing. I have eating bigger catfish on occasion and find that most of the time they tend not to taste as good. Catching a biggin is just plain fun and exciting. Bluegill do taste real good but you have to catch a mess of them.

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    2-3 times a year i go to some places that have an overabundance of channels and load up for the freezer. the rest of the time im fishing for fun, wheather it be small ones or bigguns.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I get too much more out of fishing then meat.
    I prefer to catfish rivers and I wont eat fish out of the rivers warnings or no warnings.
    If I want some eaters we'll go to a lake but my preference in a fish to eat is either some big bluegill or shellcracker and any number of saltwater species.
    Catfishing provides for me some good times and comraderie among friends along with the therapy of being on the water . Nothing like it after working all week when you can kick back on the bank or boat, relax, and reflect while waiting for a good run.
    My catfishing sessions more times then not last 12+ hours. The last thing I want to do is stay up all night fishing with a 1-2 hour commute each way only to get home and have to clean fish. That in itself turns play into work.
    Catfish fillets are fairly priced in the meat section of the grocery store.

20. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    i always thought that the only catfish i eat is what i catch,never buy it,however,i'm so hungry for it i may have to go grocery shopping.