Don't wait too long

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by paleocaver, Jul 13, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    This is for you young married folks out there. Do not wait too long to have kids. I was positive that I didn't want kids. My wife too. At first. After 9 years of marriage something wasn't quite right. We had a son and all has changed. Now at 40 (which I know isn't over the hill) I have a 6 year old. I coach his baseball team and see the other dads in their 20's and early 30's and think, man if we'd started earlier how it could be a little different. My gosh, I'll be in my 50's when he graduates high school. I just hope I can keep up with him through the years. I'm no where near lagging behind right now.

I think I'm doing OK by him, he asked last night: Dad, when are we fishing again? Lucky me just happens to have tomorrow off. Guess what we'll be doing.

The one advantage to having kids later in life - it give you a good reason to watch all those Scooby-Do shows again.

Below is a pic of Sam last weekend with a little bream he caught while wade fishing the Flint River in north Alabama.

Attached Files:

2. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Paleocaver - that's a cute kid, and he is obviously enjoying his time with Dad. I'm in my early 50's, and my middle child just graduated from high school. My youngest has 3 more years. I can still take 'em if necessary, but it sure has been fun watchin' them grow. But that feed bill gets pretty high about age 12 or 13, and won't stop growing until you kick 'em out. Good luck, and keep taking him fishing!

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think you have more of an advantage than a 20 yr old parent. Maturity for one thing, deeper appreciation for another. You may be in your 50's when he graduates, but it'll be a young 50's...:big_smile:

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm in the same boat. But you know what. I would have done it any other way.
    I will be 53 when mine graduates.
    But with the way the timing has worked out. I can provide all the things to my son that I was never able to have, because my parents were way to young and didnt know any better.
    Things happen for reasons when the time is right.
    Be thankful
    Larry

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Heh, im right there with ya.. I'll turn 40 this year, I have a 6 yo and a 3 MONTH!
    I wouldnt trade em for the world, but I gotta admit, sometimes at the 3am feedings I wonder what heck I was thinking :lol: :big_smile: :tounge_out:

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Dont worry you will handle it ok. I am 62 and we were raising our grand child up untill just a couple mo. ago. It seems you can always find the ways to give them the time they need.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I think waiting to have kids is a good idea. I know I was not a good role model or responsible enough for kids at 20. I waited until I was 27 and am very thankful.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've always wanted to have kids youngish. I'm on track to get married befroe I'm 25, and I'd definitely like to have a kid or two or three before I'm 30.

9. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    He sure does look proud...Good to know that he likes fishing with good ol dad

10. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I'll be 49 next month and my oldest son is 16. It's a good thing I waited.

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Course if patience comes with age, it could be good to wait :big_smile:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great pic,the smile they get when you take them fishing is priceless.I agree with you,I'm 33 now and not getting any younger.I plan on having one in the next year or so,wish me luck!!!

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Remember, your son will never look up to anyone more than his parents! Nice picture of him fishing dad!

14. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    If there was no babies born except the planned ones there wouldn't be 200 babies born each year in the nation.

15. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I started late myself....
    35 before my first... now I have 6!
    At 46 I would say they came just in time!

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I just turned 40 this year and I have 2 boys (7 and 4). Im not sure if I could handle any more tho. It really stinks tho when for punishment is to not take either one of them fishing (the older son likes to fish alot).

17. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just had my first one at 27, so not real old yet. But sure wish I would of been 20 so I had more active years in me.

Great pic brother of your son.

18. barney leonard

barney leonard New Member

State:
    Mannford,OK
    I'm 32 and have two boys ages 4 and 2.I'm glad I waited till my late twenties because to honest I don't think I would have been as good as a father at 20,heck I was still a kid.

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I was what they called years ago, "a change of life baby". My Mom was 2 months shy of being 40 and my Dad was 2 months shy of 45, when I was born. I have 4 older brothers and believe it or not, my parents had my little brother at 46 and 51, so y'all do the math. LOL. My Mom was 57 and Dad 62 when I graduated high school and 6 years older when my little brother did. LMAO.

Being the only girl, people always said to me, I bet you are spoiled rotten, well nope, guess what, it was hard growing up with 4 older brothers constantly looking over your shoulder like hawks. (some of them still lived at home, with THEIR families)

I remember never thinking anything about how old my parents were until people at school (JR. high) started talking about how young their parents were, then I felt like mine were old enough to be my grandparents. Which they really were, but they were active in life and home. My Mother has never driven a day in her life, and has always been a homebody. She's happier at home than anywhere on this earth. Dad was a hunting, fishing, gardening, drinking man on the weekends. He taught me how to clean fish, rabbits, squirrels, deer, and gave me the love of the outdoors. He and Mom couldn't work in the garden at the same time without arguing so I learned most of my gardening from Dad. LOL.

I listen to the stories of the 4 stair step brothers growing up before me and sometimes wonder if that wasn't the best years of their lives as parents, but then hey I was the ONLY girl and know that brought a special joy to them, even though I grew up to be a tom boy and still am today. Dad used to call me his little sputnik after the space craft. LOL.

I had my son very young and am glad I did, as now I can enjoy more years with him. I lost my Dad the day after my birthday 14 years ago, at 34. I just hope my son outlives me.

So I guess now you have a little bit of perspective from both sides of the fence.

You'll do fine. Take care.
    Love, Peace and Revolution

20. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Nice thread, paleocaver,

Kids are the best, but some of you guys are making me feel O-L-D!!

I'm only 44 and I have a daughter that's nearly 18!!

We still have a great time together a couple times a week doing stuff, though we don't get out to hunt and fish as much as we used to.

Enjoy them all while you can folks, they grow up SO fast.

:sad_2a: