Don't understand this

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Feb 5, 2009.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    {This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between searches. Please try again in 22 seconds}

Question is does everyone get this or do I have a problem ?
    Every time I go from one post to another I get this.If your in a hurry it's a PAIN.Never had that problem that I remember, until I went to Fire Fox.Whats the DEAL.HELP!!
    Some times it will say 120 sec on down.this time 55 sec.Gets old quick.

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I think the purpose might be to save the server from overload.

Everytime you do a search, the computer hosting catfish1.com has to do some thinking to find it. fine! but if the server also is sending pictures, saving changes to people profile, etc all at the same time. you can run out of computer power rapidly.

at some point, you'll get that error message that says catfish1.com isn't available.

Paul has a genuine interest in trying to preserve that, so while I sympathize, I think its a neccesary evil of hosting a very popular and great site.

of course, this is just my guess; I'm not a webmaster. maybe someone else has more informtion.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    PS don't know anything about this. I see this message if I trying searches within a 120second time, and I don't have Fire Fox.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    John, I'm not quite sure what your specific problem might be, but I do know that this message always results whenever you perform a forum search, or hit "New Posts" more often than once every two minutes.

Searching is very processing-intensive, so the board has to restrict frequent searches.

How FireFox is initiating the search without you meaning to is another question.

I would try clearing out all temporary files, history, and cookies first. Then I would look at my "favorites" links and the address area at the top of the browser window to see if there are any search-like addresses being sent by the browser.

I hope you can figure this one out soon!

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    John it also happens to me. Does get to be a pain in the butt. I would think they would have a good reason for it though.

Tom

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you have your time between clicks set too fast, you can easily double click without realizing it.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. same here. just one of the forum requirements i guess.