Don't try this at home..or at the RIVER....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Garrett Cope, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I didn't mention it before but i pulled a good one last week at the Muskingum. I wasn't catching anything but dink flatties on the outside bend Kip and i were fishing. We were bankfishing and the current on our side of the river and the main channel was pretty strong so figured i'd try to cast across the river to a flat where i thought the current was alot slower. I hooked up a goldfish and heaved it as far as i could. My 6500 c4 reel spun...and spun..and spun. I was shocked when it landed maybe 15 yards from the opposite bank about a hundred yards away. Only problem was that my goldfish landed about 60 yards away.
    I stood there dumbfounded for about 10 seconds,forgetting something very important, TO ENGAGE MY REEL. I felt a slight tug on the rod and looked down at....an empty spool. I had SPOOLED MYSELF:crazy:. This is precisely why Garrett needs another 7000 reel when using more than 30 lb test mono. And remember to always turn that handle after your bait (or just the sinker & hook in my case;)) lands in current. That 10 seconds of my stupidity was just long enough for my sinker to roll that last 20 or so yards of line right off my reel.:roll_eyes: (and make sure you tie a better knot that i did on the spool too)

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    lol,,oops

i never tie a knot on my spool,i always tape it on.that way if i forget to set my clicker and i doze off,i won't get my rod and reel pulled in the lake

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    As far as I'm concerned... I alway check to see that the clicker is on... and I especially check to see that the reel wont rotate and accidently move the crank and put it into gear... "like zippig when you are done".... dont let the wind be the thing that reminds you that you did not zip...

Man... you are fishing, and out here in the west, and on the ocean, you dont just tape your line to the reel. LOL

Thanks for the post boys....

4. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    i can never rember how much line i wound on the spool and get into one of those i can cast 400 yards moments turns out i cant and i need a new spool of line now dam it

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Whoops there goes the spool. I've been guilty of it also (lol). Don't ya just love it when that happens nottt.

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i'd have to say better than getting spooled by a monster!! still sucks though!

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That does suck.I spooled myself one time when I threw my 14 ft. surf rod as far as I could.The force of all the lead and bait on the other end snapped it and it was gone.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    very nice cast tho :smile2: