Don't take your stupid friends on a boat

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by gocatin18, Apr 18, 2006.

1. gocatin18

gocatin18 New Member

State:
    Utah
    One day my brother, 2 of our buddies drift fishin' for cats. As we were driftin we drifted by another boat that was anchored and my stupid buddy said "Hey guys I think we're driftin' the wrong way, Because, look they are driftin' that way and we're going the other way, we should turn the boat the other way so we go the right way" Then I said "There is no right way to drift you got to drift what ever way the wind blows you, and that other boat is anchored" There is no right way to drift, right? And now he has the nickname "lightbulb" because he comes up with all these stupid ideas and reasons why things happen. And later on that day he fell out of the boat because he decided to stand up in the back of the boat when we were going about 50 mph. I'd like to hear any other stories anyone has about stupid friends.

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Man, if I don't take my 'stupid friends' I'll be fishing a lot by myself. snicker snicker

ST

I hope my fishing buddies see this

3. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There is no response to that one. yeah he is a "lightbulb" LOL

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hi travis. Perhaps mr."lightbulb" should wear a motorcycle helmet at all times to protect his brain from injury. I knew I was probably driftin the wrong way but there are no street signs out here on the water.:)

5. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    That was funny.

Back in my bass fishing days I took 2 of my non-fishing friends and one of their tag-a-longs with me night fishing. Cost me two rods and at least $50 in crank baits.

I kept telling them that the trees were close, but they'd cast up in them anyway.

Come to think of it, a beer or two may have been an issue.

Scott

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If it wasn;t for stupid people,a lot of us would not have friends.peewee-williams

7. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

Several years ago when I was stationed at Chanute Air Force Base in Illinois, I went catfishing with a good old boy from Alabama. He believed in 2 things: sharp hooks and setting the hook. The fishing was pretty slow that night but the beer drinking was great! After a little Budweiser, I had to answer nature's call. When I came back I found a stick and I crept up behind his chair. I stuck that stick under his chair and tapped his rod. When he set the hook he fell over backwards out of his chair and on top of me. I don't think I ever laughed as hard as I did that night.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    HaHa, good stuff! I can picture it, lol:D

9. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went canoeing with a self professed "canoeist" on Melton Hill lake a few years ago. This guy told me he had canoed whitewater several times, so I felt comfortable taking him across the lake to fish. Once we got across the lake, we came up to a bluff with several trees growing next to the water. He promptly threw a 10 cent jig right into the tree. I had my laugh, and started to tie a lure on my line. All the sudden, the canoe shifted a little and I look up to see this breach of common sense standing up in my canoe trying to get his damn jig out of the tree. I yelled to him to sit down or we would tip over. He assured that we wouldn't capsize.... right before went went over.

Here we are in 50 feet of water during May. My cellphone got dunked, my Leatherman sank along with about $50 worth of lures. Thankfully I saved my rod. I swam with the canoe over to the bluff, and found a ledge to stand on. We poured the water out of the boat and threw all out crap back in. Buddy managed to save his cheapass lures and has the gall to ask if he can still fish. I told him if he wanted to swim back to the ramp, then by all means...

We left, he bought me a new cellphone, but never once offered to compensate me for my lures or Leatherman. I shoulda kicked him in the nuts.

10. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    that cracked me up!

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    i agree,that last one made me spit mt. dew all over the puter.....LMAO!!!!!

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Without stupid people, I wouldnt' have a job.

Without stupid people, I wouldn't laugh near as much as I do

Without stupid people, there would be no reason to invent better saftey devices.

13. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    This just happened to me a couple of weekends ago, a new boat owner, third time in the water, first time alone, catch a fish, remove lure from fish, toss lure over side of boat, put fish in livewell, turn around to pick-up rod........you fill in the rest:)

14. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Wow Brian, I think I can fill it in for you. Let see, catch a nice fish, reel it in, pick it up, lay rod down on boat, unhook fish, toss lure over the side( how am I doing so far) and then turn around to retrive rod and find out you layed the reel end off the side of the boat and when you tossed the lure over the side, it took the rod with it all the way to the bottom of the river. At least your wife bought you a new set up. LMAO. Can't wait to get on the river when we get home.

15. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    You win the prize Pat. At least I got a new rod out of the deal. It was all part of my out dated tackle replacement plan!:) Wait until you see my next trick!!:cool:

16. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    last weekend me and a friend took my johnboat out on the lake, after a few hours we loaded up and drove to a new location, he wanted to capt'n the boat so he backed the boat off the trailer i pulled up the ramp to the parking area, as i was walking back i seen him standing pull starting the boat he had it full throttle and in gear it started all right, threw him clean out, luckily he was fast enough to grab the railing and pull himself back in, i got to the dock and asked why he was wet, he said he got hot and jumped in the lake to cool off, he still doesnt know i seen the whole thing,

17. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    next time put nitrous on ot u wont have to worry . had the same thing happen about 30 years ago time hasent changed things much HUH:lol:

18. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thats what u get for scale fish fishin lol

19. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If it weren't for stupid people, nobody would like me at all!!!! Heck, if it weren't for stupid people, I wouldn't make near as much money as I do. If everybody was as smart as us, they wouldn't need us to do the things that we do!

Gotta love them stupid people. Lets see.... I once took a guy fishin below the dam at Lake Texoma. We walked down to our fishing spot, and there's a guy there battling a BIG fish. We never got to see it, but you could tell that he was tangling with a biggun. I just sat down and watched the battle, while my partner starts sniveling about how "that guy's the only one getting to fish" and he wants to start casting. I told him he'd better not dare casting out, because he might tangle with the guy's line and screw up his fight with the big fish. After about 30 minutes, this dufus can't stand it any longer, and makes a cast. You guessed it, casts right across this guy's line and snaps it. If it had been me, I would've pummeled the guy into a hairy little spot by the water..... luckily this other fella was nicer. He just turned and picked up all of his stuff and left. I've never fished with that stupid idiot again.

Jerrod

20. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Wow....Don't let that guy try any sports that involve firearms.