Don't stop bream fishing, just because your out of bait!

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by gooboy, Apr 2, 2007.

1. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    For the last 10 years or longer, my number one bait for bream is cut bait. Specifically, cut bream. I buy a box of red wigglers to get me started. One box of worms will last me for quite a few trips.

After I catch a bream or two, I cut them up for bait, and that is all I use for the rest of the trip. First, I scale the bream, then I fillet it, then cut it up into small strips. 1/4 of an inch wide by 5/8 of an inch long is just about right.

You do not have to rebait your hook very often. The skin will actually build up on the hook after you have put several pieces on. The bream tear the meat off, but can't tear off the skin.

This works very good. Give it a try, you might like it too!!

2. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    sounds like you got it all figure out there...ive done the same a few times....also ill cut shrimp into small pieces and that works extreamly well..thanks for the info and tip

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I just pinch a small piece of worm off and slide it on the hook. Works great for hours. I usualy dont even go through a whole worm in a day fishing for bream.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Gonna have to give that a shot. I went yesterday and got 40 of em in less than an hour and went through 3 worms. LOL! They are in my bait tank rite now wonderin what to hell am I doin here. LOL!

5. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    What a terrific idea! The little fillets/strips should be perfect! I can't beleive that more of us didn't think of it - and we use cut bait all of the time for catfish. Oh, a warning - this is not legal in all states, although it beats me what the problem is. Reps to ya!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric thats a great Idea. I'll give that a try. Thanks for sharing.:lol: :smile2:

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Sounds like a winner to me.
    Last time i bought worms they were $5 a can (75)worms, wigglers.:eek:oooh:
    Started my own bed yesterday.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I just use a fly rod and poppers or wet flys for bream that way you don,t waste time baiting

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never tried that, but I've tried similar sized cuts of cured chicken liver. Another trick is to use the eyes for bait; fine for fish you're going to eat, but not so fine if you're planning to use them for bait. Maggots are still my favorite.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    yep...i started using eyes when i was a kid...can't remember why tho...lol

great tip on using the flesh to the original poster.

I have also used small bits of shrimp on a small hook with very good success.
    Another time i ran out of worms and was desperate and saw some ants running around...tried them and they worked too!

cyas
    robert

11. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Have never tried cut bream...will have to give it a shot.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have try live bream, and I got a good bite. I will try cut bream the next time.

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well....First time I've looked at this thread, & who do I see giving out tips?? I've never thought about it; I've used shrimp, crawfish, even mayflies or dragonflies (when I could catch 'em!). Once, years ago, we got into a bream bed & ran out of crickets; we started using Cheetos (!), & they would even bite them! Thanks, Eric! (Guess I'd better keep a close eye on you, huh?):wink:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I used a sliver off of a crappies white belly once while pullin in slabs like crazy, and we ran out of minnows and it worked beautifull too .

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I loike that idea, usually I run the hook through there eye and use that for bait works great. Just don't tell my wife I do that.

16. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ill definately try that!!

cuz then u can use the head for catfish!... lol

Jeff

17. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I always take crickets, night crawlers and fly rod with plenty of poppers and wet flies.

Some ponds crickets is all they want. In other places they will bite a white strip of plastic off of a grocery bag. I was at a church picnic and did not take my fishing stuff. There was a small pond and I caught 15 or so on a hook and line I pulled out of a bush and a piece of white yard I pulled from the hem of my sweat shirt. Made a nice little jig for my hand line.

18. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    That is how we fish for Crappie.
    We just throw jigs until we get a small one and it gets cut into strips.
    It has proven to be the most reliable bait..... Crappie tipped jigs.

Dave

19. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

how do you get ants on a hook? I dont think I could even get a sabiki hook through a carpenter ant lol

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Used to do pretty much the same thing as a kid, but not for years now. I would go to the pond with a rod and a hook or tow and one slice of wonder bread. Just about everything seemed to eat the bread balls (brim, golden shiners, and bullheads) and when the bread was running low, we'd take a fish and cut it up into little strips like you said and just kep on fishing!