Don't overlook the small waters!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by buddyodie, Sep 8, 2009.

1. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    My wife, Lisa, and I normally fish the rivers and the local city lake. We catch plenty of nice fish and love being out there, just to enjoy the day. Something about putting the boat in the water, motoring up and down the river to hit those "favorite" spots. A packed cooler with some sandwiches and our favorite beverages. If the fish are biting good, that is just a bonus.
    We frequently visit my wifes 97 year old uncle who still lives on the family farm. At the bottom of the hill just behind one of the barns sits a small spring fed pond, probably not even a half acre. Every time we have visited over the years he has ask us to come down and catch some catfish out of the pond. We always talked about it but never fished it.
    Monday, we were both off for the holliday, decided the river would be to crowded, so grabbed our gear and headed to the farm. We baited up with dip bait and lobbed it out to the middle. Just set my rod down and it was heading for the water! A 6-7 lbder. Lisa never even got her rod set down, and she has line stripping off her reel. another 6-7 lb. channel. To make a long story short, we caught & kept 10 between 3 & 8 lbs. (to fillet out for her uncle) We caught and released a couple dozen more, all within a couple hours time!
    We weren't on the river, we didn't have our sandwiches or beverages, But we had one of the funnest days of catfishin' of the year, so far---.
    Don't overlook those little bodies of water. They will surprise you! :smile2:

2. sharphooks

sharphooks New Member

State:
    nebraska
    very cool

3. all_clear

all_clear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Awesome. I like some of these retention ponds around the neighborhoods (my pic above was at one) Alot of them were stocked as a part of keeping bugs down... I wouldn't eat any of those but they sure are fun to catch. Sounds like you had a blast and lots of action!

4. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ponds are still my favorite fishing. Love the isolation and the hungry fish.

5. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Lots of world class fish come from small waters. Gotta love that fast action

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the small water trip. The small water action can many times be fast and furious. Enjoyed.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sometimes them small ponds can be a blast to fish,and the action seems like it never stops when there biting :smile2:

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thats a cool report. Thanks brother:wink:

9. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the great post. I love small waters, cant beat em for consistent quick action. This is my first year to have my own boat though, and I've been frequenting bigger bodies of water. Still love bank fishing ponds though

10. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good report, good to see you had fun and caught some fish

11. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thanks for the report! Thats pretty cool - ya kept some and gave the fillets to her uncle. I used to have a neighbor that was in his 80's and couldn't get a round very good. I would take over a sandwich baggie of fillets to him and every time I brought them - you woulda thought it was x-mas. And kinda funny, he would always set me down on the front step and tell me the exact same fishin' stories of him and his wife (who had passed). Thats good stuff - reps your way for doin' that!:cool2: