Don't over cast your odds!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 4, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It amazes me year in and year out as I motor up and down the banks of the Mighty Muskingum River, the fishermen that do funny things. I truely get a good kick out of some of these people and the way they are fishing. I'm not picking at anyones style here, but I'm talking about basic things, that may be keeping some of these people from catching a few more fish. I have even been guilty myself of doing some dumb things, and have often kicked myself in the butt for not thinking at the time. For example, the biggest problem I see from bankfishermen trying to pursue night time flats is, they always want to cast their baits out far. These are often fishermen that are fairly knowlegable how to catch fish. They are sitting on a prime stretch of river, but they don't fish these areas as well as they could. They want to cast baits way out away from the bank, and or structure that these fish roam around after dark. I figure some of these fishermen are missing getting baits to 20 or 30 percent of the fish possibly. Take these people out in a boat in the middle, and guess where they want to cast? Yep! lol ...the bank!! I don't understand it. Maybe it is simple human natural to think we are covering more area by casting away from ourselves? But, I really think most flathead fishermen don't target the shallow sides of the river banks at night as much as they should. I have probably caught more flatheads towards the banks, then in any other area. I understand that every river is different, and situations may change according to your water, but im basing this observation on small to med river systems that I fish. Now, not only do the bankfishermen get made fun of, boaters as well! I see a large amount of boaters at night, fishing "known" area, that simply anchor in the poorest ways possible. The biggest mistake I see, is when these guys mark fish or even want to fish a hole or an eddy area, they park their boat right on top of where they want to fish! Why do we once again want to find a nice spot, stop, and drop an anchor right on top? I always drive past 30 or 40 yrds. then anchor or tie in, fishing my baits back to the prime area. Everyone has their own styles etc. But, I truley believe by doing a few senseless things, that you can decrease the amount of hookups possibly by not thinking. Part of my early season scouting involves not only looking for areas to fish, but going into the bank, or pulling ahead trying to find places to anchor properly, so when I do fish these areas after dark, I know of how I want to stabilize the boat for the best fishing conditions. There is nothing worse then trying to pull the boat in after dark, and having the boat swaying or the anchors pulling free in the current etc. But, if you can pick landmarks out and try them in the day, it makes it so much easier to find with the light after dark. So, these are just a few of the things we all have done, that maybe will help out this year, when deciding on how to fish an area. hope this helps, and goodluck to you all......rollo

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    very good observations. I have noticed that also.

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I think you nailed it right on the head .... Great observations .....

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Dang it rollo quit giving out my secrets lol.

Just kidding but am probably guilty when I was younger. I have thought about that before. The only thing that I could come up with for part of the answer is this; A person fishing from the boat casting to the shoreline is fishing around and up against obsacles that people fishing from the bank cannot get to because of trees or objects in their way so they cannot cast there without getting tangled up. But, I have no explanation of why people fishing from the bank want to cast all the way to the middle of the lake.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rollo, very good post. I'll rep ya later.
    This is why I think that it is so important to be still and quiet with no fires when bank fishing, I always have better luck when I am alone. On big rivers trying to reach a channel or drop off, noise isn't so much of a problem. It all boils down to if your fishing close to the bank or far away. In a boat some times I like to cast to the bank because if fishing the same spot from shore it can be very difficult trying to land a big fish. If you can bring them to a boat it's a lot easer to net them..So don't laugh if I cast to the bank! lol:big_smile:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats exactly why when we lake fish, we fish from the bank. a lake gets very still on most nights after dark, and i don't think sitting out in the area with these roaming monsters is the best way to target them. a simple drop of a sinker, or a reel sliding and hitting the side of the boat is all thats needed to spook these fish. i would rather fish from the bank, and tip-toe to my rods when they start going... rollo

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those are very good tips, and I used to be guilty of the same thing..Thats why it's so important to not use a light, and to be very quite when placing your bait close to the bank...Flathead fishing in medium sized rivers done right is alot like hunting trophy bucks...Now if your gonna fling your bait halfway across the river, a light aint gonna matter, neither is a little noise.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What Jason is saying was actually proven to me many years ago...I was fishing with a guy who missed a nice run, he got mad and stomped his foot on the ground hard....The water around us exploded, there were several feeding flatheads right at the bank we did not no about.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think my post was directed not to make fun of anyone, and i did even phrase myself as doing things at times as well. my post was directed towards maybe some that simply do some of these things without thinking, myself included. i see your point catmatt, and maybe i chose some words poorly, and i appoligize to those i may offended, but this thread was directed solely towards those that may want some help, and i can guarentee you and everyone i would not make threads to degrade anyone at any time! rollo

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you being a guide, and a respectable one at that. maybe you would like to give some information in this thread to help a few out with some things, that maybe you have seen or done on the water? im sure it will be appreciated by some...rollo

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I think youve seen me fish too many times :smile2:, I am guilty of doing this altho I usually fish lakes. Too my fault I like to cast it far cause I feel Im still practicing on casting the stinking things :big_smile:. When I do cast them I will bring it in tho but not close to the bank thats my mistake.

12. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Jason Thanks for the great info, your posts always contain usefull info unlike some other post that no one learns from.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jason, I'll throw this tip in. We usually fish 5 rods per person in the tournaments we fish. One thing that I started doing last year that has paid off is when I'm fanning my poles out I will throw 3 as far away from the boat as I can get them and run the other 2 closer. Of the 2 closer I will try to run either 2 baits or a big bait on at least one of them.

14. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    and a post like yours,will tick more people off than Rollos ever would,if you read it he wasnt putting anybody down as he is not that kind of person,if anybody was offended,I am sure they would have spoken for themselves

15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great post rollo I can say for myself that i have been guilty of doing this but when bank fishing i have caught most of my big flats closer to the bank. I will just set up down from where Im going to fish a little ways that i can still cast into easily . Just so i ain't right on the bank when my baits are sitting.

16. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great job rollo as always. I've noticed around here there are a coulpe of locals that pull thier boat right on top of a log jam? I tend to anchor up river from them and cast into them, but hey thats just me.:big_smile:

17. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Another great post Rollo. I agree with ya, sometimes we need to examine what we do and why.

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wasnt that Bryan that was with you that night?:smile2:

19. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice post, I used to catch myself doing some of those things, and I even still do now that I think about it!LMAO:smile2::wink:

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im guilty of it when I fish for channel cats.