Dont let this happen!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by slimepig, Nov 15, 2005.

1. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
  2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Slimepig, I am an avid bowfishermen. Here in the state of Kentucky it is legal to take any rough fish(catfish) during daylight hours only, other rough fish can be taken at night. I personally have spent alot of hours day and night on the water and have never had the oppurtunity to take a catfish with a bow. Whether the state of Texas says it is legal to take cats day and night or just during the day, I don't think that you will have to worry much about this becoming a problem for the cats in your area. Vern

3. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I think it was Tim on another thread that best described it. The only way you can get catfish classifed as a game fish is to keep it from being classified like rough fish. Catfishing is turning into a sport these days just as bass fishing started out. Why not work to make them classified as game fish. I've sent a email. Maybe a few more will make a difference.

4. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Guys, I just wanted to post this info. In Texas catfish are gamefish. Blues, Channels, and Flatheads are all gamefish with daily take limits.

If you find it in yourself please help us out by expressing your thoughts on this to our parks and wildlife deparment. Contact information below.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744
    Toll Free: (800) 792-1112, Austin: (512) 389-4800

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/feedback/webcomment/?p=/index.phtml

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Could someone get a petition going or something like that? How about a form letter posted on here that we can cut/paste & send to the correct person fromt he state via Email?

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hate to see this great fish exploited like that..Guys we need to take care of our catfish populations, so us and our kids can enjoy this great sport..I am all for size and creel limits on catfish.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Another Tx. fishing forum is e-mailing all of its members about the bowfishing, with a web link to let its members contact the state.

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i just as well throw rocks as shoot a bow but i have watched bow fishermen many times. i have never seen one take a fish and i have seen hundreds of shots. i think they should be congratulated if they take a fish on any kind. mabe there should be restrictions around dams and such but i have never seen a bow fisherman around a dam. just my opinion. if anyone knows of any wholesale slaughter of fish by bow fishermen i would like to hear about it.

9. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    h2o thats a great idea on the petition i think we can get one going on here and everyone who wants to sign it can and we can send it in contact a mod and let me know when you find something out.

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I think craddock is right on. I think bow hunten catfish sounds like more of a sport then jug, limb, trotline fishen (aginst the law TX ?) and i'll bet the average rod and reel catfishermen will walk away at the end of day with more fish on the stringer. and when is the last time you were abel to see and snek up to a catfish and then ud have to draw the bow aim and fire. and if there limit is the same as your whats the diffence and if there lic. cost the same as yours whats the problem and thay probably pay more cuz there hunting other things with the bow. I don't think there's a big deal about it but i don,t give a "bleep" cuz im from CA

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The problem is in the perception. If it's legal to bowhunt catfish but not other species you immediately group the catfish with all second rate species that it is legal to bowhunt. Why not make it legal to bowhunt trout, walleye, bass, musky, etc. Try making it legal to shoot bass with a bow and watch what happens. It's been a long road getting catfishing to where it is today, why take the backward steps to reverse all that's been done?

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've only seen 3 or 4 bow fishermen in my life and they were after carp and I dont think they are endangered because of a bow.
    You would stand more of chance crippling a population of cats with a hook and line , trotlines, or juglines then an army of bowhunters based entirely on what I see first hand in catfishing.

If it's the catfish you are so adament about protecting maybe we should all stop fishing for them because I for a fact know there are those among us that KILL large and small cats for eating purposes and that is entirely within their right when they are legally possessing the fish.
    If the shockers can't manage to deplete the lower Cape Fear of catfish, I don't think a bow would make a difference.

13. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Would anyone enlighten me on how you can bowhunt for catfish? Would you just go to a dam and shoot arrows into the current or sit in shallow water till you seen movement? The only place ive ever seen a catfish visually is at a dam.

14. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    whistler i can go with ya there on that part, i never thought of catfish being a lower 2nd class fish here in CA 100% game fish. only thing here you bow fish is carp. but if you want to make it a big time sporting fish wouldn't be best to outlaw all other ways of taking catfish other then rod and reel?

15. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    i seriously doubt that the few cats taken with a bow will adversily afect any thing if you ever bowfished or even bow hunted (i have done both) it is not anwere as easy as you think. people have been comercial fishing for those same cats for years around hear and they are far from being in danger. and whats the diferance if you run an arrow through it or put a 9/0 hook in its mouth with 80#line eather way its not geting away and if you eat them i see no diferance as long as they are not wasted

16. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Riverbud, I grew up in El Monte, you know where that is? I fished the Imperial Valley with my dad up until he passed on. One day I'll be back long enough to fish there again too. Love that area for fishing. Again, to me the problem isn't whether or not you are gonna hurt the catfish population, it's how it's looked upon by all other sportfishermen. I doubt seriously that if you lined up 1000 bowfishermen on the banks of a decent catfishing river in a 1 mile stretch that you would see more than a couple of fish taken, if that many. So that's not really the problem with laws like this. It's the reasoning behind the law that is the problem. Those same people would never even dream of allowing that type of fishing for other game species. Riverbud, in your case in California, you're lucky they allow hooks on your line!! LOL Much less you having to worry about jugs or trotlines. LOL Some pretty strange laws out there for you guys sometimes. I'll bet fishing licenses are expensive as heck out there these days. Here a combination fishing/hunting license costs about 28 bucks. The hunting part is just for small game.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whistler, I agree with everything you say.

18. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I here whats your saying whistler and think your right but its still isn't going to hurt the "catfish" itself anymore the "bowhunting" that is

33.35 to fish + 3.00 for the colorado river stamp and 31.00 to hunt

Done alot of hunting and fishen around niland - brawley area in the past, spent alot of days cruzin the canal roads, now my hang out is in blythe, bought a large travel trailer last year and keep it on the river(colorado) and try to make out there 2 or 3 time month, 170mi each way, to fish for the flats

trying to get a fish-n-camp getheren going for april and get some of the southern CA guys on to some flats most around here have never fished 4em. looks like the AZ bros are going to make a good showen also . come on out whistler and thats for anyone else also

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Shooting a catfish with a bow would hurt the population about like hand fishing. Since during the spawn is the only time I see cats up next to the bank. Although on that note some hand fishermen just let them go. Once you stick a fish there dead. I guess noone said texas dnr was to smart eh.

20. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Maybe, it's because most bowfisherman just shoot for the sport of it and not for a meal. If you hook a cat, she can be released. If you shoot an arrow in her she is dead. Or maybe just wounded and will die anyway. I for one disagree, that it is ok to use a bow for taking catfish just for sport, however, I agree it should be ok to harvest some for dinner with a bow if you chose too. So where do I stand in this ?