Dont judge a pond by it's size

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by fwmud, Aug 29, 2005.

1. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    "Theres a lot of big fish in that little pond."
    I've heard that so much it ain't funny and never believed it,till now.
    We found a little (maybe 1/3 of an acre) pond that's owned by a friend of the family. Sunday morning early, we decided to give it a try just for fun.
    I almost got "DH'ed" or "JW'ed" by my partner. Tammy had caught 2 nice sized bass and a 4.7 lb channel before I even got rigged and baited.
    I finally got rigged up with a slip bobber and then landed a 7.5 lb cat. A little later I got another 7 lber. let me tell ya, on 8lb test with ultra light rigs, it was a blast! The second(7lb) nearly spooled me twice.He was hooked near the bank on our side of pond and made 3 runs. The first 2 he had me down to 1 layer of line and only 4 raps left on the spool. It was a thrill and a half.
    If you know Tammy,you'll understand why we woke up the owners of the pond.(It was early and she goes nuts when a fish is on.)She was whoopin and hollaring the whole time and almost fell in.
    We were using cut frozen shad as bait and was surprised ole Billy Big-mouth hit on that. She caught 5 nice sized ones plus her cat.
    Heres some pics;
    (DH and JW, this is for you guys.I couldn't let her whoop me)

Attached Files:

2. RMXmitch

RMXmitch New Member

State:
    x
    WOW! looks like a great spot keith. Congrasts on the catches,

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Nice fish. i have always loved small water fishing.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Nice fish and nice place to fish.. Love the mail box, my father has one of those and loves it.

5. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Still being "land-locked" we hit the pond again this weekend.My oldest daughter,Zulena got her best to date a solid 8 lber. Tammy got hers at 5.7 lbs and youngest boy,Taylor got his personal best cat of 5.15 lbs.
    Yes we had a blast. Them ultra lights magnify the pull of a decent size cat. Taylors by far provided the longest and best fight. It took him nearly 7 to 8 minutes to get him to the bank after being almost spooled 5 times. Great show!

Attached Files:

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    A second larger more well kept pond we were granted permission to fish.(Funny how word of how you treat someone elses property opens new doors)
    The owner of the first pond told this gentleman,Mr massengil, how well we treated her land and returned her fish to the water, he called and met us at the gated entrance to aloow us acess to his personal pond. He built it himself and the pipe putting water in the pond is a constant flow from a Swift creek. Very well kept and maintained.

Attached Files:

7. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Thats some nice looking fish there keith. Cant wait till we can hit the river together and tear them up

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Nice fishing trip to the ponds only thing missing around the second pond is a few trees.A few days of fishing an pics to rember them by what else could you ask for.
    Loop

9. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    very nice small water really does work especialy when there almost no fishing pressure on it. i also have a very small pond less then an acre and i saw the biggest channel cat i ever saw in it almost 3 foot long. sucked up a peice of bait that came off my hook near the bank and i never saw him again.

10. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    i love small unfished ponds. i found one out near bethel ohio that i was granted access to that was loaded with largemouth in the 2-8lb range. longest i would go without a bite on my lure was 3 casts. lots of fun in that pond. my old man also managed to find a 15lb blue sitting near the bottom with a rubber worm he pulling in. first time i've seen a cat pulled in on a lure. unfortunately, i never hooked any cats in that pond, only bass. but a 5lb pound bass puts up a pretty good fight. not that strong heavy and slow pull that i love cats for though.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Once again the litle pond offers up some nice fish for "the land locked".
    Tammy got this one on that same frozen, cut shad.
    It was a solid 6.4 lbs.

Not bad for a girl fighting a bout of kidney stones. (which shes recovering fine)

Attached Files:

12. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Lot's of nice fish, Keith. Glad to hear Tammy is doing well. :D

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ouch kidney stones arent no joke if she is fishing with one she is doing better than i did i was crying like a baby and would have swore i was dying lol.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Keith, my hats off to her. I had another one Sunday and it was no fun. Thought I would end up in the hospital again. If she could fish with that going on, shes a strong person in my book!! Ouch!!

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    keith. i agree. remember that big old bass i got the award for. i could throw a baseball across it if i put my weight into it. in all directions.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Keith, sure some great pictures! Sounds like everyone enjoyed it. :cool:

I agree it doesn't take a large pond to yield good fishing. When my father in law was alive he had a small pond that he kept stocked with channel cats, he maintained it, fed them daily and we caught a ton of fish over the years from it. We have the same pond now but not close enough to property maintain it.

17. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    very nice, I wish I could find a place like that around my neck of the woods.