Don't hide the hook?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pacman, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've been a bream fisherman all my life. I know for a fact that for panfish if the point of the hook is showing, they ain't gonna bite.

Now I get to the BOC and I keep reading, don't bury the hook...leave it wide open.
    "A bare hook" is hard for me to swallow!:smile2:

Is it true that catfish don't care????

2. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Thats true. You want the point exposed so you get a better hookset.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    ive cought panfish with the smallest piece of worm that wouldnt cover 1/10th of a hook. most of the time fish arent hook shy at least around here. a scaley bony bait takes a bit of pressure to push a hook through. if your hook has to go through your bait and the fishes mouth theirs a chance the fish might drop it before the hook even gets through the bait if it does, ive missed fish because the hook turned and rehooked my bait. you want a SHARP point sticking out so the instaint it touches the fishs mouth it digs in.

4. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The hook doesn't bother my sunfish either. I have watched several at a time in clear water go into a feeding frenzy trying to be the first one to grab a tiny piece of worm hanging off a hook as it sinks without a weight or cork above it. When I hook a sunfish for bait I make sure that there is not a scale left on the hook point to impede penetration.

5. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Thats a good point seokfisherman.

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear New Brother Patterson;
    DeWayne, I guess I should be the first to warn you that going after Bluegill and going after Trophy "BIGGUNN" Blue Catfish is two whole different "ballgames"!:wink:
    I'm still learning things almost every day on here and I certainly listen to those that consistently land "Blue's" 60#+!! They DO know what they are talking about!
    Something else you might want to get used too about going for Trophy Cats. That is we {Brother and Sister BOC members} use Bluegill and B*ss for BAIT!:smile2: Yes, it's T-R-U-E! :big_smile:
    There is one other thing I might warn you about too with regards to the Brothers and Sisters of the BOC.
    I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard of, seen, or known a Brother or Sister to knowingly give anyone, member or not, bad or dangerous advice when it comes to Catfishing. I will also include the several other categories that the BOC Board covers too!
    You will get an overwhelming list of answers to your questions. You will get confused by many of the choices that seem available to you. You WILL meet other Brothers and Sisters and, in time, sometimes sooner than you think, you will be wondering how you got along without them!! And, as with all families, we do have our mistakes and errors along with a bad apple or two but you will find those folks don't last long in the BOC.
    If we have a fault it's that some of us, ME INCLUDED, get a bit long winded at times with our answers. Sometimes we get a little off track of the original question. But you will never hear anyone call your question stupid and if you ever do, You let ME or Whistler, or any of the other moderators, know about it and I promise you, the matter WILL be taken care of posthaste! BTW, I'm NOT a Monitor, I just know who to go to in case I have a problem or question. I'm happy to say that all of my problems have been due to computer stupidity on my part!:smile2:
    So, before I use up all of your screen ink let me just say this:
    WELCOME ABOARD! GLAD TO HAVE YA! :big_smile: Don't be afraid to ask questions and for goodness sake, if you know an answer to someone else's question please be sure to jump in and offer your answer to the question too!! It's what the BOC is about, ... sharing knowledge to improve our fishing experiences, and sharing ourselves to help save fishing for the generations that come after us and will be following in our footsteps and hopefully do a better job than we do!
    I know, I got off the "Bare Hook" thingy. But I saw you was a "Newbie" and thought I should warn you before you get overwhelmed with answers and offers of help. :)
    Now that you have been fairly warned; the rest is up to Y-O-U! :wink:
    Fraternally, Sincerely, and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Msg]]]]]

7. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's why I love this place. It really is like a brotherhood!

I can ask my dumb questions and there are plenty of fishermen glad to help.
    I'm learning a lot.

I'll stand by my opinion on covering the point of the hook for bream. Sure I've caught them on a tiny piece of worm too, but I can catch three times as many by not being stingy with the bait. Point of the hook in the middle of a lively worm with both ends wiggling...they can't stand it.

I guess a catfish is used to being king of the hill and "ain't-afraid-o-nothin' "
    (including trying to swallow a 5 lb bass...have you seen the picture!"

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm lazy. LOL! I use the #10 circle hook for them. Gotta keep the point exposed for em to work. I can see your point as well.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I was cover my hook weather I am fishing bass, bream, or cats. I just the point of the hook showing a little bit.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Pacman,

Welcome to the BOC.
    I agree with you 100% on covering the end of the hook for gills. I can catch several from a spot and it they stop hitting I check my bait. 9 out of 10 times they have exposed the hook point and they are hook shy. Something just doesn't look right to them. "Why does that worm have something sticking out of it like that? That looks like the set up that got cuzzin George and Fred".:smile2: I can fix my bait (worn) and through back into that same hole and start catching gills again. Nothing changed but besides the hook point being almost totally covered. After the first two or three (eager beaver) fish from a spot this is more important. The first few are more of a reaction bite and the rest are a little slower to bite. IMHO "Wondering what may have just happened to cuzzin George and Fred." :smile2:
    Another thing I do that helps keep the worm on longer. I thread the worm onto my hook. I don't hook it through the side, I cut a small section (using scissors) and push it length wise onto the hook. Makes it much tougher for them to snag your bait without getting the hook. I think a lot of this is due to fishing pressure for gills and other bait fish. I know my kids have caught thousands of gills and we have released most of them. I know a lot of people that let there kids catch gills until they don't want to catch any more and they don't keep any. That is how I got my wife interested in fishing. Fast action and a blast on ultra lite tackle.:big_smile:

With cats it does not matter for the fast you stated. When they decide to eat they are going to eat. You do want the hook tip exposed for better hook set like mentioned before. I have also had my hook get turned back into my bait and cause me a hookup or two. That just happens from time to time.

Hope this helps,
    David

11. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Definitely leave the hook exposed. Big cats usually don't care what it looks like as long as it smells good to them. Big cats also eat smaller fish that have lots of fins and spines naturally so the hook may not feel like much more than a bone or fin to them until you set the hook or the circle hook digs in. If your using circle hooks, make sure you don't hook the bait so deep that it gets into the gap of the hook. Circle hooks need the gap between point and shank open to work to their best potential. Your hookup percentage should go noticably up if you don't hide the point (for catfish anyway). Good luck fishin'.

12. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Cats don't care about an exposed hook or what color of line your using.

J

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's been my observation that cats are very used to eating things with 'rough edges'so leaving the hook point exposed only helps ya hook em quicker and better.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    carp are susposed to be one of the worst about being hook shy and yet we use a hair rig for them and that leaves the whole hook exposed.

15. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    My Dad always told me to thread the worm on the hook and always make sure that point don't show.
    I doubt if it matters on anything bigger than your hand tho.

But we sure did catch a lot of bream.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've actually caught bluegils on bare golden hooks when I ran outta worms. I've also caught them on a small piece of chewing gum too. The hook dont seem to bother them until it hooks them...LOL:wink:

17. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i.ve come to realize that the more of your hook that you have exsposed the better hook set you get.but that just my exprience.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've actually caught both gills and crappie on just a jig head...so I think it just depends on the mood of the fish? Also, leaving the hook tip exposed on my bait has improved my hook up rate by quite a bit! I used to have a tendancy to pull the bait out of the cat's mouth and miss the fish completely.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The ONLY way for a circle hook to work is for it to be exposed.

I catch frenzied white perch on BARE gold hooks.

BTW, I catch bream all the time with an exposed hook tip. Maybe we have dumb bream!!!

In my opinion hiding a hook is not a good option for catfish.

20. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I have been Bream fishing all my life and alway catch more bream with the point of the hook covered. But with catfish fresh bait and the point of the hook uncovered. Also use the sharpest hook you can.