"Don't forget the plug"

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by whodaman, Feb 10, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    How many times have you heard don't forget your plug? Well, here's a another one for you - have you checked your lug nuts and lug bolts? I am a tournament fishermen and member of a catfish team and one day we were driving on I-80 headed to a tournament. All of the sudden we felt the ride go from nice and smooth to rough and a little bumpy so we pulled off on the Adair exit to take a better look. When we first got out and looked all was fine but then I took a better look at the lug nut and noticed it was loose. Every single lug nut was loose on the right side and from being loose the bolt was ruined, so we thought that was it we were done. How were we going to fix this on a saturday afternoon? Well, this really nice guy stopped to see if he could help and he offered to give my buddy a ride to the tire shop down the street. Well, going right along with our luck, the shop was closed. So I came up with the idea of taking off the other wheel and pounding out 3 of the 6 good lug nuts and bolts we had and putting them on the problem side. It worked long enough for us to limp 30 miles to the next open auto parts store that actually had the parts we needed. It was a day I will never forget and a story I will never stop telling. So out of everything you do for your boat don't forget about the lug nuts and bolts it just might save your boat.

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I agree my second trip out I got a flat on my trailer got lucky the junkyard I was at had a tire for me.Now I have me a spare tire just in case it happens again.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You aint kidding,I am rediong my trailer and just bought new rubber,the ole tires are spares,if you travel dont forget Murphy he is a jerk.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Kenny I see You have met Old Murf also!!! that Guy has put the hurt on Me more than Once,(I'd like to spit some Beechnut in that Duds Eye) LOL, J.D.:big_smile: