Don't forget the Coons

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by kennylee, May 8, 2008.

1. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    I just started tent camping again now that the kids are grown, so i'm hauling the boat to the lake a few times a month an staying in the state camp grounds.

After the 1st night the coons got into every thing that wasn't locked up in the truck.

They got into the cooler and helped them selfs to a limit of crappie i caught earlier.

But as bad as they got us, they got the young couple in the next site for every thing they had, i was starting to get dinner together and relized i'd forgot the potatoes so i walked over to the next camp site and asked if they had a few spuds they could part with and thats when i found out the coons cleaned them out potatoes and all.

The coons chewed on their cooler until they cut thru the latch! There was a mound of plastic cooler under the table where the cooler was sitting, i wish i would have took a picture it was that amazing,lol.

So watch out for the night bandits and lock up your stuff or the coons will be eating your bacon an eggs for a midnight snack.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    One night at Truman State Park a couple of buddies were feeding the coons. I told them they would regret it. Ate two limits of crappie out of there cooler that they had put under table bench that night. The next night they were throwing rocks at them.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    took my wife and in laws camping at black kettle neational grassland a few years ago. her mom had left a few loaves of bread out on the table and i didn't see them, being tired. well in the middle of the night there was a good coon fight going, sounded like a herd of hogs fighting. i assured my wife they would run when we went out, and they did. she hates coons! when they start investigating camp, i will ping them with a 1 oz. egg sinker out of the old wristwrocket. that keeps em gone.
    another time, we were camping on a feeder creek that goes into the sabine river in e. tx, and a big old boar coon kept going around our camp growling. we would throw firewood at him, then he would show up on the other side of our camp. he became increasingly aggressive, so i shot him with my .357. he was a lot more peacable after that, and i made a new fire and burned the carcass, just in case. i was worried that since he didn't have any fear of us, and we were in a brand new campsite, that he might have been sick with something.

4. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Them dang coons! Cant leave anything around. Like being in the middle of Miami at night. Gotta keep everything locked up tight.

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    The wife and I also had a run with the Coons. It was Thanksgiving about three years ago. We had gone with several families to the lake for the weekend in our trailer. and the wife had baked several pies to take along with us. she always has to have a table setting out side of the trailer to set things on so as not to clutter up the inside of the trailer. Well she Set a cherry pie and two pumpkin pies and pecan pie along with a bowl with a two pounds of m@ms on the table out side and coverd them with a table cloth. well next morning when we woke up they had eat the cherry pie,both pumpkin pies and that whole bowl of m@ms and never even turned the bowl over. But worst of all is they had just walked in the pecan pie and had it all over the side of my trailer and all over my new camping chairs. you could see their foot prints where they had stood up on the table and peaked in window off the trailer looking for more. Needless to say we got taught a good lesson that night.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    After 63 years of living with coons,all I can say is Ha,ha,ho,ho,he he.

The only thing that I have found more destructive than coons is parents who let spoiled children run loose and wild!

I do have a cure for bad neighbors in a coon filled camp be it campground or river sandbar.

One 14 oz.can or 4 regular cans of sardines or Jack mackerel.Mash up fish extremely well and put fish in a quart jar.Add water leaving room to shake.You can punch holes in jar lid.At dark,shake out this "Brew"around offending camp,under/on camper,in boats,vehicles and so on.Do not get caught.You will not sleep much that night for the noise.The offending party has always pulled out at daylight.

To keep coons busy at night.Find a distant tree with rough bark.Spread peanut butter in bark well above ground.Coons will congregate and fight over peanut butter all night on the tree.

If you have large Gators.Just shake sardine "Brew" on logs or stumps out into the water.The coons can not resist and will feed the Gators.Coons eat sleeping pills and OD!Coons love Old Crow and RC Cola!They will sleep off a drunk.Drunk coons do not climb trees well.I once had a drunk one crawl up in my lap on a cold night while I froze and then go to snoring.It never moved when I very carefully lifted it and carried it like a baby and laid it out of the way.Caution!They get mean with a hangover about daylight if they passed out early!Some do love Beer in aluminum cans and learn to bite the bottoms open.

Folks.I have done all of the above and found them to work.

Guilty?NO!I have seen Coons do thousands of dollars worth of damage in a single night in fields.I once saw some folk lose 50 lbs. of shrimp,20 lbs.of sausage,20 lbs.of snow crab legs,60 lbs.of taters,50 ears of corn,boxes of whole chickens,hamburgers,hot dogs and everything to go with a week end family reunion cookout at a park.Everything was Iced down/stored and left in the back of 4 pickups overnight UNGUARDED!The place looked like a garbage dump when I went by to go fishing at daylight.What they did not eat,they fouled.

I like coons.I like to hunt and eat coons.I do not like to sleep with coons or have them destroy my stuff.I have seen a missing sleeping bag hanging out of a hollow on a tree.Coons ain't dumb and will make beds at times.They steal Chickens and eggs.They will kill and eat your rabbits,Guinea pigs,puppy or kitten.They catch and eat your grown cats or very small dogs.They did mine on the Santee.I do believe that they would kill and eat a unattended infant.Some make pets.Some don't.

You do not want to take on a coon in hand to hand combat.Now to watch such combat is a experience neither you or the combatant will ever forget.It was the best fight that I ever saw.I watched as the victim snuck up to a garbage can with a coons tail hanging out of it.The victim then grabbed the coons tail.The coon must have loved it for it refused to allow the victim to retreat.The coon ended up standing up on the victim who was curled up on the ground like they teach for bear attacks.The coon looked around for any more comers and then went back to the garbage can about 15 feet away,got something out and walked away with it.I was actually asked "Why didn't I do something"?My reply was that "I never interfere with potheads and drunks on Budweiser and home grown in their coon training sessions"."My only option was to shoot the victim and you would have arrested me for that"."The town is a Wildlife Sanctuary".Stop the best fight that I ever saw?No way!Stitches and a series of rabies shots took care of the victim as I always called him "Victim" after that.That boy had so many loose screws that he rattled when he breathe

Most of all I love to watch city folk and Coons competing!My money is always on the coons.I have seen coons do more to hurt the humane society and peta than all the rest of their enemies put together.If you wish to cure a tree hugger,get a coon to do it!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We've never had any trouble with coons, but then we don't leave anything laying out. We always lock up tight. But we did see one at Jones Creek campground in LBL that was HUMONGOUS!!!! Sure wouldn't have wanted to tangle with him.:crazy:
    Deb

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I do love to watch city folk with Fleas,Sand gnats,Biting Flies,Mosquitoes,Wasps and Yellow Jackets.Very entertaining!I have learned many new words and dances along with curse words in so many languages.I sure wish that I had tapes of these shenanigans.

I once counted 18 Coons,3 Skunks and 5 Deer at one time in my sight feeding off of the campers at Steven Foster State Park and Campground at the southern entrance to the Okefenokee Swamp years ago.I once had a city lady get very angry with me and report me for not running down a deer and taking her loaf of bread from it! It had picked it up by the open end and the bread stayed in the bag while the deer was running.The more I laughed,the madder she got.She decided it was my fault after she opened a loaf of bread,fed the deer a slice and then left the loaf on the table while she went back into the camper.She chased it 200 yards and then came back and gave me the devil.I told her that I didn't chase cars either!She later informed me that she had "reported me" to the park rangers.She did too.They laughed about that with me for years after!

The best way I found for me to chase Skunks is VERY Carefully with a gentle mist out of a water hose.No hose,do the best you can with what you got,but water usually works.Now I did see a fellow two spots down chase one out of his tent with a cigarette lighter and a can of hair spray.He burnt his tent down,his in laws small tent camper trailer and a good area of the camp ground woods.I had to admit,it worked.The Skunk ran!Everyone was pretty late getting to bed that evening.

I love to stalk pesky deer and then charge them.Once they think that you want to eat them,they get the idea.It also seems to help get the other campers to avoid you and let you have your privacy.

I once about over did it one fall.I charged a nice Buck at my picnic table.Instead of running,he charged me.He chickened out at the last second.I would have,but it was all so fast I didn't have time to even get scared.My wife claimed that the Buck had no chance butting heads with me.My mother agreed.So much for moms when they can take sides with a woman against a man.That is where motherly love ends!:roll_eyes:

I am betting Obamas grandmother,mom and wife would all vote for Hillary if they could.It is just the nature of some things.:wink:

I love you Brothers and Sisters.

9. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida

Peewee, what can I say man. Your my kinda guy. Those are some great ideas.