Dont forget our feathered friends

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by n2fishn, Dec 27, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I went out yesterday and bought some wild bird seed.Came home and cleaned the feeder of snow and scraped a area on the ground down to the grass.Filled the feeder and spread some on the ground.

It wasn't 30 min and there were about 20 birds eating.Then got to thinking I better put some water out for them being everything is froze.They were drinkng water more than eating the seeds.

These kind of condtions where the ground is covered in snow is really hard on them.

I think I made some new freinds:big_smile:

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good fro you Tom. I tried to rep ya but it wouldn't let me. So I'll pat on the back for a good deed.:big_smile:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good deal Tom. Remember our feathered friends.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I thought this was gonna be a hunting thread :smile2: We put out a feeder yesterday for the first time in several years, the birds seem to be enjoying it.

5. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    thanks we all hav e to do our part i n takin care of the wildlife...:wink:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Got about 5 feeders out and a couple of block hangers. Lots of different birds feeding the last couple of days. Always keep food out in the winter during the snow coverage.

7. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I can sit for hours watching the birds on our feeder. I have it hanging off the gutter fascia board right outside the kitchen window.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    While I still spend more on hunting & catfishing, there is always a couple hundred set aside for feeding the birds & squirrels. I can and do, spend hours watching them out my kitchen window. I only wish I had a spot to watch them while here sitting at the computer desk.

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am going to get my feeders back out and start feeding them this week thats one thing i love is the birds i just havent got off my butt sins we moved hear but i see lots more birds hear so it will be intaresting to see what all comes to the feeders guess it will be back to trying to out smart the squirrels to the little pest

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I don't mind the squirrels, they gotta eat too. I just set aside some corn & sunflower seeds for them. I have been setting out nuts every year for them too. They love raw peanuts, but I have read that it can be dangerous if it gets mold on them. They also love Hazelnuts/Filberts, however they are expensive. I planted some Hazelnut trees last spring, hoping it will cut my costs a bit. This year, I drove about 60 miles to my brothers house an picked a half pickup load of Black Walnuts, for them.

While I don't mind feeding them, I wish I didn't feel like I was wasting so much. They eat the corn at the feeder, but most of the nuts appear to get buried for later. I never see them go back and dig them up. Doesn't matter whether I set out only cup of nuts every day or so, all I see is them burying them. Obviously they are not starved, perhaps I need to "cut" them off for a few weeks. They do so love to eat the corn though, even though it is like candy to them and is not the best food for them.

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I fight the squirrels some in the summer time when I know they can fend for them self but in the bad weather i feed them also.

Its amazing how much the wildlife comes into the feeders when the weather gets bad.

I will have to go get some corn for them.

I see them stashing food but I just figured they are stocking up for bad times.:big_smile:

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have 2 feeders filled right now. The feed my wife bought the last time is mostly cracked corn, so the squirrels are hogging the feeders.

13. Graham

Graham New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have a funny story about squirrels raiding a bird feeder. Years ago I worked in a garage and one of our customers was an elderly lady who lived in a cottage in the woods. She used to feed the birds throughout the year. She drove a Daf33 which was a little European car that had a variable pulley, belt drive transmission. Really weird little car.
    Well she phoned one day to say that her car wouldn't move. We suspected one of the belts had snapped, so we towed it back to the garage and got it up on the hoist. Underneath was a large plastic pan that went from the front axle to the rear axle. It was held in place by about a dozen turnbuckles.
    I started to undo these and got my buddy to hold the pan as I undid it all. All of a sudden his face went red and his knees began to buckle. Then he let go of the pan and about fifty pounds of moldy peanuts poured out all over him.
    Apparently the squirrels had been visiting the bird feeders and storing the peanuts up underneath the car. They had eventually worked their way up into the pulleys and when the pulleys had opened as she went faster, the nuts had got jammed in there. She hadn't realized because the road went down a hill to her cottage so she had just rolled down into her drive.
    My buddy never trusted himself to ever go underneath that car again.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    :smile2::smile2::smile2: Thats funny.

When i was just a little guy growing up we had a pet squirrel.Yep a pet Squirrel.

We had this old couch that had the thin wood back on it.

When my parents went to replace that old couch with a new one as they were hauling it outside things started to fall out of it.The little dude had stored all kinds of stuff it there.Found that the backing had came loose and everything in the house that he could put in there was in there.From food to my toys.:smile2::smile2:

15. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Looks like I'm not the only one who tries to out smart the squirrels. :smile2:

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive got bird feeders and squirel feeders out plus i plant a small patch of turnips for the deer.the turnips arent touched till after the first frost then the greens get a lot of sugar in them and the deer love them.didnt plant the turnips this year tho just got lazy so the deer are hitting my squirel feeders.

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    made a trip to farm and home this evening got 40lb of sunflower seed 40lb seed mix and 4 suit cakes going to put all the feeders up tomorrow thanks for this thread it got me back in the mood to watch the birds agen

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We was talkin this morning about birds. haven't bought seed, but all the scraps are being tossed in the back yard. Looks like it's been swept. They'll eat most anything this time of year. Hate to put corn out, make me......well you know.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    we sling scraps out for them to they loved all the stayel chrismas cookys lol

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    24 deg hear :eek:oooh: bin working on getting my feeding station put back togather cant stand it outside for long at a time berrrrrrrrrr